How to Shell a Hardboiled Egg

iVillage Member
How to Shell a Hardboiled Egg
Sun, 04-20-2003 - 11:29am
(From IVillage)

First, to prevent eggshells from cracking, add a pinch of salt to the water before hard-boiling.

To shell the egg:

Gently tap both the top and bottom of the egg on your kitchen counter and run cold water over it.

Then roll the egg back and forth to crack and lift the shell away from the egg.

Run more cold water over the egg while peeling for extra help.

At this stage, you should be able to peel the entire shell easily.

http://www.ivillage.com/food/experts/cookcoach/qas/0,,416585_78640,00.html

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-21-2003 - 9:16am
Eggscellent advice ! I've done this for years and it works great almost everytime. The only time it may not is if your eggs are quite fresh. The fresher the egg, the harder it is to peel.
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-21-2003 - 9:59am
After MANY MANY MANY weird shelled eggs... this is how i do it now! You still get a wild one ever so often, but the water sure does help! Thanks for the info... you're right on the ball... thanks!

*** daisy ***

BabyFoot.jpg picture by cl-daisy526

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-21-2003 - 11:19am
You know, I never have any problem with peeling eggs if I make them myself using this trick I found in a cookbook years ago. I forget why on earth I actually READ this whole section on how to boil an egg but I am ever so glad I did!

From Fast and Fresh Cookbook by Julie Dannenbaum (This discount cookbook find has been one of my favorites since I brought it home. It has a great bit of reading in it if you are a "reader" of cookbooks and she arranges it by meals/meal types in addition to the recipe section so for instance she has a "Too Hot to Cook Dinner for 4 or 6" "Day before payday supper for 4" and a neat section on how to improvise for drop ins.

This works on ALL eggs, cold, room temp, fresh, old, doesn't matter.

eggs

2 tablespoons NO LESS of salt

1. Drop eggs gently into salted boiling water, reduce heat to simmer

2. Cook 12 min. (no longer or you will get the ugly green ring)

3. Remove from boiling water and plunge into ice water. Let cool 2-3 minutes or longer

4. Peel eggs. I tend to roll them to peel and it usually slips off in one piece with this method after rolling. But anyone can peel these eggs...really.