quick, cheap, healthy

iVillage Member
quick, cheap, healthy
Wed, 05-21-2003 - 4:00pm
I am just about to live on my own for the first time, and I need some suggestions. I will be really busy, so I won't have much time to cook, plus I'm not rolling in the dough, so I need to be careful about costs. Do any of you have any ideas for quick, cheap, and healthy recipies or food buys? Any advice would be helpful. OH, and I'm also vegetarian.

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-22-2003 - 9:49am
I was in a similar situation in university. Things are a bit better now. The biggest thing to figure out is what you will eat. Tons of people will give you all kinds of suggestions for what to eat but if you cannot stand to eat them it doesn't do you any good. For example, after eating rice almost every day when I lived in the dorm I just cannot stand to make it very often at home. But I used to eat lots of pasta. One thing that helped me was I bought several student cookbooks. They are easy, have practical meals, are aimed at people on low budgets and are scaled for one or two people. And most of them are pretty fast in terms of prep work too.

The biggest thing will be figuring out what your staples are - after that you can play with what you can afford.