Need recipes

iVillage Member
Need recipes
Mon, 05-26-2003 - 11:11am
Hi all. I have a friends whose SIL is in ICU in another state after giving birth to twins. The twins are great, but the drs don't know if the mom will make it. My friends husband flew out to be with his sister and mom, leaving friend here to care for their 4 kids alone. In addition, friend has become the "information center" for family and friends across the country. Her husband and MIL call her with updates, and she e-mails or calls everyone to update them, and everyone calls her to find out what is going on. I want to take some of the stress off of her by making her 5-7 days worth of meals that can be put in the freezer, then pulled out and stuck in the oven when they get hungry. Could you all please post some really good recipes I can do this with? I want to get them to her by tonight. Thank you all soooo much!

Okmrsmommy-36, CPmom to DD-16 and DS-14

iVillage Member
In reply to: okmrsmommy
Mon, 05-26-2003 - 12:53pm
Ok, here are some recipes that I've borrowed from the Make Ahead Meals board. Normally I'd send you over there but I get the feeling that this is rather urgent. So here are some ideas. Any notes added on to these recipes are from the original posters. Good luck! And it's really sweet of you to want to do this for your friend. :)

Karen

French Toast Sticks

julfess

Eggs; 6

confectioners' sugar; 1 1/2 Cup

milk; 3/4 Cup

maple syrup; 1/3 Cup+2 Tsp

ground cinnamon; 3/4 Tsp

white bread -- cut into 4 strips; 24 Slices

butter -- divided; 1/2 Cup+1 Tbl

In a shallow dish, beat together the eggs, sugar, milk, maple syrup, and cinnamon with a fork until well blended. Dip each bread strip into the egg mixture, coating completely. In a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Cook the bread strips a few at a time for 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until golden, adding more butter as needed serve immediately or allow to cool, then cover and chill until ready to serve. Freeze. When ready to serve, reheat in the oven or toaster oven for 5 to 7 minutes, or until heated through.

Chicken Enchilada Pie

julfess

Water; 1 Cup

Cheese; 2 Cups

Corn Tortillas; 12

Enchilada Sauce; 15 ounces

Pepper; 2/3 Tsp

Salt; 2 Tsp

Onion; 2

Chicken; 2 Lbs

Cook chicken in onion. Add enchilada sauce. Alt. layers of tortillas, sauce, cheese. Add 1/2 cup water to each of two casseroles. Cover tightly. Label and freeze. To serve, thaw completely. Bake in 400 oven for 20 minutes.

Title: Bubble Pizza

Categories: Main Dish, Hamburger

Yield: 7 Servings

julfess

1 1/2 lb Ground Beef

15 oz Pizza Sauce

2 12 cn Refrigerated Buttermilk

-Biscuits

1 1/2 c Mozzarella,Shredded

1 c Cheddar,Shredded

Make ahead: In a skillet, brown beef. Drain. Stir in sauce. Quarter the biscuits and place in a foil lined 13x9 baking dish. Top with beef mixture. Bake, uncovered at 400 for 20 - 25 minutes. Remove from oven. Cool. Flash freeze. Sprinkle with cheese. Remove from dish and wrap in foil. Label and freeze.

To serve: Thaw. Bake for 15minutes at 400.

Chicken and rice recipe

2 C. rice

2 C. milk

2 cans cream of mushroom soup

4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

1 envelope dry Lipton onion soup mix

Combine rice with milk and cream of soup. Pour into a greased casserole dish and layer chicken breasts on top of rice mixture. Sprinkle with dry soup mix. Cover with foil and freeze. Bake (thaw first) at 350 for 45 min. to 1 hour.

PIZZA MEATLOAF CUPS

1 egg, beaten

1/2 cup pizza sauce

1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs

1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning

1 1/2 lbs ground beef

1 1/2 cups (6 oz) shredded mozzarella cheese

additional pizza sauce, optional

In a bowl, combine the egg, pizza sauce, bread crumbs and Italian seasoning. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Divide between 12 greased muffin cups; press onto the bottom and up the sides. Fill center with cheese.

Bake at 375 for 15-18 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Serve immediately with additional pizza sauce if desired. Or cool, place in freezer bags and freeze for up to 3 months. YIELD: 1 dozen

TO USE FROZEN PIZZA CUPS:

Thaw in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Heat on a microwave-safe plate on high for 2-3 minutes or until heated through. I heat mine in the oven at 350 until heated through.

Meat Loaf Miniatures

1 cup ketchup

3 to 4 Tablespoons packed brown sugar

1 teaspoon ground mustard

2 eggs, beaten

4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce

3 cups crispix cereal, crushed (measure 3 cups then crush)

3 teaspoons onion powder

1/2 to 1 teaspoon seasoned salt

1/2 tsp. garlic powder

1/2 tsp. pepper

3 lbs. lean ground beef

In a large bowl, combine ketchup, brown sugar and mustard. Remove 1/2 cup for topping; set aside. Add eggs, Worcestershire sauce, cereal and seasonings to remaining ketchup mixture; mix well. Let stand for 5 minutes. Crumble beef over cereal mixture and mix well.

Press meat mixture into 18 muffin cups (about 1/3 cup each). Bake at 375 for 18-20 minutes. Drizzle with reserved ketchup mixture; bake 10 minutes longer or until meat is no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 160. Serve desired number of loaves. Cool remaining loaves; freeze. Transfer to freezer bags; freeze for up to 3 months.

TO USE FROZEN MEAT LOAVES:

Completely thaw in the refrigerator. Place loaves in a greased baking dish. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until heated through, or cover and microwave on high for 1 minute or until heated through. YIELD: about 1 1/2 dozen.

Sweet and Sour Chicken1 pound boneless chicken breast, cubed

1 large onion, chopped

3 T ketchup

3 T soy sauce

2 T sugar

2 T lemon juice

1 8 ounce can chunk pineapple

1 T cornstarch

1/4 cup cold water

In large fry pan, saute chicken (salt and pepper first) until browned. In bowl, combine remaining ingredients except cornstarch and water. Pour over chicken and simmer 10 minutes.

In small bowl, combine cornstarch and water. Add to hot chicken mixture and combine well. Allow to thicken and simmer a few minutes. If freezing, cool and bag now. Serve over rice.

This recipe doubles or triples very easily. I always make at least a double batch.