Romantic Easy Dinners

iVillage Member
Romantic Easy Dinners
Tue, 06-03-2003 - 8:45am
I need help. I want to make dinner and suprise my husband on his birthday. The only issue is that he has to work late. I want to make some thing that is easy to transport, but not a casserole type dinner,we eat way too many of those. He has an hour break and if I time it right we can have the whole hour. We have been having trouble lately and I would like to make it as romantic as possible. Any suggestions you can give would be great.

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-03-2003 - 9:12am
Hmmm what about pasta and chicken? You could make either a rose or cream sauce for the pasta and serve the chicken on the side (lemon chicken maybe?). Make a small tossed salad (take the dressing in a jar and just toss before serving, otherwise it will get soggy...). Or some veggies on the side(aspargus, green beans...) if dh isn't a salad guy? Maybe a loaf of french bread. Hmmm since he's working I'm assuming that wine is out - maybe gingerale? I know we always had gingerale at fancy meals, lol.

Another option is...what is his favourite meal? Or maybe something that he really likes that you don't have often?

Let us know what you cook! And if you are stuck on ideas for how to transport it let us know and we'll stick our heads together and see what we come up with!

Good luck! It's a really sweet thing to do!

Karen

Ps> Welcome to the board!

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-03-2003 - 11:06am

Have to add this, don't forget the picnic basket and blanket if there is somewhere you can lay one out for the two of you to sit on and Strawberries and whip cream or chocolate sauce for dessert.

Jan

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-03-2003 - 12:22pm
giggle. I do have a tendency to forget about dessert. I'm not a big dessert person - I usually have fruit. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm strawberries.....
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-03-2003 - 12:46pm
Well - what are some of his favorite foods? If you are going to bring something that needs to stay warm either try using a pyrex portable or wrap the dish in foil and then in a thick towel.

Bring along the blanket and picnic basket and how about some candels? Can you have dinner outside? Perhaps bring a portable grill and cook right there? Sort of like a tailgate picnic but much more romantic. Also how about a portable CD player and some nice romantic music.

Sandy

photo RainyDay_zpsece18f80.jpg

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-03-2003 - 12:58pm
Thank you for all of the ideas. I think the blanket and strawberries will help. We will have to pass on the wine, as he is do an install and if it is messed up, that would put a little stress on things with out a job.

Thank you

Kati

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-03-2003 - 1:00pm
Instead of wine what about sparkling cidar?

Jan

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-03-2003 - 1:24pm
Hmmm what about sparkling cider like Jan suggested or maybe something like gingerale or sprite or something with a coupon for wine when he comes home?
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-03-2003 - 3:46pm
I have no suggestion, but think this is way kewl. Best wishes!
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-04-2003 - 10:08am
Thank you everyone for you ideas. I surprised him and he was very happy. We had a picnic dinner with candles and soft music in his office. It was very nice. He was able to get out before midnight came home and surprised me with flowers and a bottle of wine.

Thanks

Kati

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-04-2003 - 12:35pm
That a girl Kati! Glad ideas helped. What did you make for dinner?

Sandy

photo RainyDay_zpsece18f80.jpg

Pages