HELP! EASY BREAKFAST RECIPE NEEDED!

iVillage Member
HELP! EASY BREAKFAST RECIPE NEEDED!
Thu, 06-05-2003 - 3:58pm
I need an easy breakfast recipe for the monthly Women's Breakfast at the church I attend. This month is MY month to bring the food, so......I need 1-2 easy breakfast recipes that I can bake quick before the breakfast at 9am THIS SATURDAY 6/7!!! I'm hoping for some sort of recipes that include some kind of eggs bake?????? Something I can whip up, throw in the oven and serve!! I need to feed 15-20 women, I plan to bring a bowl of fruit as well as 2 good dishes! PLEASE ANYBODY GIVE ME 2 RECIPES!!!!

THANKS A TON!!!!!!!

CINDY

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-05-2003 - 4:52pm
How about a Strata? It's a layered bread and egg dish. The way I do it is in a 9" square pan, but there is no reason you can't quadruple the recipe and do it in a big pan

The night before you wish to serve it, Grease a 9" square baking pan or dish

Beat 6 eggs with 1 cup of milk or cream & 1/2 tsp each of salt & pepper

Saute 1/2 pound of sausage meat with 1/2 cup of minced onions

Grate 1 cup of cheddar cheese

Remove the crusts from 8 slices of firm white bread and let the bread dry out a little

Place 4 slices of bread in the dish to cover the bottom. layer sausage mixture, cheese, bread, sausage mixture, finishing with cheese. Pour the egg mixture over and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight. In the morning, preheat the oven to 350 and bake for one hour or until firm with a browned top. Allow to cool a bit before serving.

You can make this with all kinds of variations, like bacon, salsa and hot peppers, spinach or other vegetables, different cheeses and so on.

Elaine

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-06-2003 - 12:07am
I will print this out and give it some thought ;) Sounds easy enough!! Thanks a Bunch!
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-06-2003 - 9:39am
Hello there and welcome to the board... Breakfast casseroles are one of my favorite things to make and EAT! Here's a couple for you...

Brunch For A Bunch

1 lb. bulk pork sausage or ham

3 cups frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed

1/2 teaspoon salt

3 cups (12 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese

1/2 cup chopped green pepper

12 large eggs, beaten

2 cups milk

Cook sausage in a skillet until browned, stirring to a crumble; drain. Place potatoes in a lightly greased 13 X 9 X 2 inch baking dish, sprinkle with salt. Layer sausage, cheese and green pepper. Combine eggs and milk, stirring well, and pour over the green peppers. Bake at 350 degrees for about 50 minutes*.

*If preparing the night before allow longer cook time due to the chill from the refrigerator. Serves 8 to 10

Here's one that's a little spicy... might get that meeting REALLY going! LOL

Chile Rellenos Egg Casserole

10 eggs

1/2 cup unsifted flour

1 tsp. baking powder

1/4 tsp. salt

1/4 cup butter, melted

16 oz. low fat small curd cottage cheese

1 pound Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded

1/4 tsp. ground cumin

2 4 oz. cans of chopped green chiles

Heat oven to 350 degrees F and grease small baking dishes. In large bowl, beat eggs until light and lemon colored. Add all ingredients except chilies and mix.

Pour 1/2 cup mixture into each pan and spread. Top with thin layer of green chiles. Top with another layer of mixture. Bake about 30 minutes until top is browned and center firm. It is best served hot from the oven.

If you prefer, you can make this in a 9x13 pan, just plan to bake it a little longer. HINT: you can make the egg mixture the night before and assemble it just before baking.

Makes 8 servings.

Nantucket Pie

(Fry 1 1/2 cup hash browns)

Mix ingredients

3 eggs

1/8 th cup whole milk

3/8 cup shredded cheddar cheese

1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

1 tbls parsley

1/4 tsp pepper

1/2 tsp salt Dash of Mrs. dash

Pour ingredients over prepared hash browns in an 8" sauce pan and top with cooked bacon. Bake in 350 oven for 13 minutes. Cut in half it serves two generous portions. (you will obviously have to triple or quadruple this).

Good Luck... please come back and let us know what you made and how it all turned out, we love hearing!! Hope you keep coming back!

*** Daisy ***

BabyFoot.jpg picture by cl-daisy526

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-06-2003 - 12:44pm
Thanks a bunch! These sound great! I'll give 'em a bake and let you know the outcome of the breakfast! I've never taken a turn at the women's breakfast, I'm sure these will be a great hit!!

Hugs,

Cindy
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-06-2003 - 1:45pm
Hello, Yum.. I'm coping some of those too!

I wanted to share my ultimate favorite breakfast dish for a crowd. The best thing is it has a chart so you can make alot depending on how many servings. It has two sauces butyou can always do maple syrup or whatever too! It's very good! If you don't try it this time you might keep it for next time. It's really a crowd pleaser!

FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE

SERVINGS 12- 24- 36

Italian/French Bread 1 loaf- 2 - 3

Cream Cheese 8oz.- 16oz- 24oz

Sugar, divided ½ C- 1 C- 1 ½ C

Vanilla/Almond Extract ½ t- 1 t- 1 ½ t

Pecans, chopped ½ C- 1 C- 1 ½ C

Eggs 4- 8- 12

Milk 2 C- 4 C- 6 C

Cinnamon 1 t- 2 t- 1 T

Butter, melted 2 T- ¼ C- ¼ C + 2 T

Assembly Directions:

Cut bread into one inch cubes (about 14 cups). Place half of the bread cubes in a greased 9x13 inch-baking pan. Place the cream cheese in a microwaveable bowl or measuring cup. Cover the container with plastic wrap and cook on 100% power for 30 seconds. Stir it with a spoon, cover again and cook another 2 minutes. It should be completely melted. Stir half of the sugar and all of the extract into the cream cheese. Spoon the cream cheese mixture over the bread cubes (it will not completely cover them). Sprinkle the nuts over the cream cheese layer. Top with remaining bread cubes. In a bowl, beat the remaining sugar, eggs, milk, cinnamon, and melted butter together. The egg and milk mixture will make about 3 cups for each recipe.

Cinnamon Swirl BREAD for a treat! Pecans are OPTIONAL!

Freezing Directions:

Pour the egg and milk mixture over the bread cubes. Slide the pan into a labeled two-gallon freezer bag, seal and freeze.

Serving Directions:

Thaw the casserole completely. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until browned. Allow to sit at room temperature for 5 minutes or so before cutting.

Serve with warm syrup or purchased or homemade fruit toppings.

Home Made Fruit Syrup

Fruit, canned, frozen, or fresh 1 2/3 C. (drained of liquid) or 14.5 oz.

sugar 1 C.

corn syrup or honey 1 C.

vanilla or almond extract 1/2 t.

Assembly Directions: Chop fruit into pieces no more than 1/2 inch square. Combine fruit, sugar and corn syrup or honey in a saucepan. Bring to a boil stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove the sauce from heat and stir in the extract. Serve warm over the French Toast Casserole (also good over pancakes, ice cream, waffles, ice cream, pound cake, ice cream, etc.)

Blueberry Sauce

1/2 cup water

1/2 cup Sue Bee Honey

2 tbsp. cornstarch

1 tbsp. lemon juice

1 cup blueberries

Whisk water, honey and cornstarch in a saucepan over medium heat until thickened, about 3 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and blueberries and heat through. Serve warm over casserole or other dishes! Yummy!

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-06-2003 - 1:52pm
Daisy!

We have that in common!

I hate breakfast first thing in the morning but any other time I LOVE IT! I love making the breakfast casseroles! Yum! I posted my favorite but here are a couple more for you try! Can never to many good things! :)

Apple-Raisin French Toast Casserole

Makes 12 servings

Ingredients

1 cup brown sugar

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 cup butter, melted

3 apples - peeled, cored and sliced

1/2 cup raisins

1 (1 pound) loaf French baguette, cut into 1 inch slices

6 eggs, lightly beaten

1 1/2 cups milk

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Directions

1 Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish. In a large bowl, mix together brown sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Mix in melted butter. Stir in apples and raisins until evenly coated. Pour into prepared pan. Arrange bread slices in an even layer over apples.

2 In the bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla and 2 teaspoons cinnamon. Pour over bread, making sure every slice is fully soaked. Cover with aluminum foil, and refrigerated overnight.

3 Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Remove dish from refrigerator while the oven is heating. Bake covered for 40 minutes. Remove cover, and bake 5 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

Peaches and Cream Brunch Cake

¾ cup flour

1 teaspoon baking powder,

½ teaspoon salt

3 tablespoons butter

1/2 cup milk

1 package dry vanilla pudding

1 egg

Mix the above ingredients together and then beat for 2 minutes and put in a greased 10 inch pie pan.

Reserving 3 tablespoons of the juice, drain a large can of peach halves or slices and arrange in single layer on batter in pan.

Beat together:

1 8 ounce package of cream cheese

½ cup sugar

3 tablespoons peach juice

Spoon over peaches.

Mix 1 tablespoon of sugar and ½ teaspoon cinnamon and sprinkle over top.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 30-35 minutes. Cool and serve at room temp. Refrigerate left-overs.

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-06-2003 - 2:26pm
Mmmm... these DO sound great... thanks for posting them. I just love breakfast casseroles. Can't wait to try these...

*** Daisy ***

BabyFoot.jpg picture by cl-daisy526