Desperate for easy snacks for party...

iVillage Member
Desperate for easy snacks for party...
Fri, 06-06-2003 - 1:45pm
I'm having a group of friends over tomorrow night for a "game night". They're all bringing their kids. Everyone is supposed to bring a snack or drink, but I wanted to make sure I had some stuff out in case others forget. I am tired and I haven't had time to shop all week, and now I'm just feeling overwhelmed. Any suggestions? This will be "dinner" for me and my son, as there's no way I can fix something for us and get it cleaned up before the party starts, so it needs to be light, yet substantial, and of course, kid-friendly and spill-proof. (There are a bunch of preschoolers and a bunch of pre-teens coming.) Suggestions??? The hope is that the adults will be able to socialize in the living room while the kids wreak havoc in the playroom. We'll see...

Thanks!

-Ellen

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-06-2003 - 2:29pm
Under the hotdog thread I posted a couple you might consider.

Cresant Dogs

Bacon Dogs

Spiral Dogs

Some of these are adult friendly but most are great for kids!

Bacon Stuffing Appetizers

1 box Stove Top Stuffing-prepared by the directions.

Let cool and mix in 1 egg. Roll up like meatballs then secure 1/2 slice raw bacon around it with a toothpick. Broil until bacon in golden.

This is good. Also sometimes we wrap a tator tot with bacon and bake till done... yum! Not healthy but flavorful!

Deviled eggs

Appetizer Meatballs

Blend ½ cup peach preserves with ½ cup honey mustard barbeque sauce in large saucepan. Add frozen meatballs. Heat through and serve (use a crockpot) with toothpicks or wooden skewers on hand.

Mushroom Rollups

Here is a simple appetizer recipe.

1 can crescent rolls

1 3 oz can chopped mushrooms-drained

1 3 oz pkg. cream cheese

chopped green onion-optional

Spread out crescent rolls, do not separate. Mix cream cheese and drained mushrooms.(and onions) Spread on dough. Separate crescent roll dough and roll up. Cut into 3 pieces. These can be frozen and used when needed. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until dough is golden brown.

BLT BITES

16 to 20 cherry tomatoes

1/2 lb bacon, cooked and crumbled

1/2 c mayonnaise or salad dressing

1/3 c chopped green onions

3 T grated parmesan cheese

2 T snipped fresh parsley

Cut a thin slice off of each tomato top. Scoop out and discard pulp (I used the smallest measuring teaspoon for this). Invert the tomatoes on a paper towel to drain. In a small bowl, combine all remaining ingredients; mix well. Spoon into tomatoes. Refrigerate for several hours. Yield: 16-20 appetizer servings. THIS IS MY FAVORITE! I sometimes add a bit of dill.

What about stuffed mushrooms? There are a ton of different recipes!

Pineapple Chicken Bites

Makes 12 bites

Ingredients

1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cubed

2 (8 ounce) packages refrigerated crescent roll dough

1 (8 ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained with juice reserved

3 tablespoons honey

1 tablespoon ground ginger

Directions

1 Place chicken in a large, deep skillet with 1 to 2 tablespoons vegetable oil. Cook over medium high heat until no longer pink. Drain and set aside.

2 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

3 Separate crescent roll dough into individual triangles. Place triangles in a single layer on a large baking sheet.

4 In a small bowl, mix 3 teaspoons reserved pineapple juice, honey and ground ginger.

5 Brush each crescent roll dough triangle with the pineapple juice mixture. Place one pineapple chunk and approximately 1 tablespoon chicken meat on each triangle. Roll and seal each triangle individually.

6 Bake in the preheated oven 15 minutes, or until golden brown.

I make these often since I got the recipe. They are good!

What about a hot crab dip or artichoke dip?

I was just thinking of my reply on the hot dog thread. My daughter loves to heat up a jar of cheez wiz in the microwave and then dip sliced hotdogs and bread into it. Like a fondue. This might really be fun for the kids to do at your party. Set the jar on top of some papertowels to catch drips and hand them a wooden skewer. Sausage, and such would be good with it too!

BBQ Chicken wings or Hot wings! With a Ranch dip?

For Blue Cheese Dipping Sauce:

1/4 lb Blue cheese; roquefort or

-gorgonzola

1/2 c Mayonnaise

1/2 c Sour cream

1 tb Lemon juice

1 tb Wine vinegar

ds Hot pepper sauce

In small bowl, mash the blue cheese, leaving some small lumps. Whisk in the mayonnaise until blended. Add the sour cream, lemon juice, wine vinegar, and hot pepper sauce; whisk until well blended. Chill until ready to serve.

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-06-2003 - 2:48pm
Hi Ellen, welcome to the board... here's a few ideas for you.

Pickle Snacks

Triscuit crackers

cream cheese

dill pickles

slice dill pickles, spread cream cheese on crackers and place a slice of dill pickle on top.

Easy Snack Wraps

12 (10 inch) flour tortillas

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese

1 head lettuce

1 (6 ounce) package sliced deli-style turkey

2 cups shredded carrots

2 cups minced tomato

Spread cream cheese evenly over the tortillas. Top the cream cheese with lettuce leaves. Arrange the turkey slices in even layers on top of the lettuce. Sprinkle the carrots and tomato over the turkey slices. Roll the tortillas into wraps. Cut the wraps diagonally into bite-sized pieces. Secure with toothpicks.

Tex-Mex Devils

6 Hard-Cooked Eggs

Optional Garnishes: Bacon, fresh cilantro, parsley or chopped red pepper

1/3 cup(s) Picante Sauce

1 tbsp Mayonnaise

2 slice(s) Bacon

Fry bacon unitl crisp, crumble bacon. Peel eggs; cut in half. Remove and mash yolk. Blend in picante sauce, bacon, mayonnaise and mashed yolks. Refill egg whites and garnish as desired. Chill.

Well I hope some of those help... let us know what you make and how it turns out!

*** Daisy ***

BabyFoot.jpg picture by cl-daisy526

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-06-2003 - 2:51pm
Since it will be dinner for you and your son. Here are some more hearty things.

This round sandwiche can be made ahead of time and it WILL keep and the bread WILL NOT get soggy! What I would do is one large round for you and your friends with all the fixings in it then a smaller round for the preschoolers that is mostly all cheese, turkey, ham and mayo plus the cream cheese! I got this one from a website somewhere it was for football paries but it will work. Here you go. I'm pasting all the stuff it said too!

Round Layered Party Sandwich

Be sure you compact this sandwich as you make it. The tighter it is packed the better it will look and will stay together when sliced, and it does make a wonderful presentation when sliced.

Try different combinations of meats and cheeses. You can use mayonnaise and mustard if you wish, just be sure your cream cheese layer is covering all edges of the bread first as this ensures that the tomato, oil and vinegar do not make your sandwich soggy by sealing the bread. If you like lettuce on your sandwich then add it by using the whole leaf and not sliced lettuce.

Another great thing about this sandwich is that you can make it up to 2 days ahead of time and keep it stored in your refrigerator, making it not only perfect for Football parties, but for picnics as well.

You Will Need:

assorted sliced deli meats

assorted sliced cheeses

oil (preferably olive oil) & vinegar

salt & pepper

thinly sliced tomatoes

thinly sliced red onions

pepperchini's, drained and stems cut off

soft cream cheese with garlic and chives

a loaf of round shepard bread or other crusty bread (OH not too deep if you don't want huge sandwiches! get a wide but shallow one!)

Serves 8 (can serve more or less depending on the size of your bread)

Cut a slice at the top not very deep into the bread and remove the insides of the bread leaving it hollow. Spread cream cheese spread on sides and bottom and cover well. This will help seal the bread.

Start constructing your sandwich with a layer of cheese being sure to cover the entire bottom of the bread going around in a circle. The first layer of cheese should come up sides a little. Follow with a layer of each type of meat. After the meat layers add the tomato, onion then sprinkle with oil and vinegar and salt and pepper. Add some pepperchini's. Repeat the process, ending with a layer of cheese. Be sure to press down all layers well you want this sandwich to be very compact. Be sure to fill the bread completely to the top.

Spread cream cheese spread on the inside of the top you cut off. Place top of bread back onto your sandwich being sure to align it so it looks like it was never cut off. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. To serve cut like a pie into wedges.

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-06-2003 - 7:21pm
The crescent hotdogs is always a hit with kids but if you're too rushed to do even that then maybe you could stop at the store and pickup some bagel dogs - cut into bite size pieces and microwave them and put them on a party plate for the kids. And for the adults get some veges to cutup and serve with ready-made dip.

If you have time you could do this one in advance and it will be ready when you come home :

*CrockPot Drumsticks*

Chicken Drumsticks (approx 12 drumsticks)(or double the recipe for a crowd)

4T BBQ Sauce

1T Deli Mustard (Dijon would work great too)

1T Italian Salad Dressing

1/4T Tabasco Sauce

Spices - onion powder, oregano, black pepper

Aluminum foil

1) Make coils from foil to act as a trivet in your CP. Place on bottom.

2) Mix liquid ingredients in small bowl or cup.

3) Sprinkle drumsticks with spices to taste.

4) Lightly brush drumsticks with sauce.

5) Cook on low 6-8 hours.

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-06-2003 - 7:31pm
Oops ... and I forgot to add : Dont forget about cheese ! Cheese is my favorite appetizer and its the easiest ! Just cut up some hard cheeses into cubes and stick em with toothpicks or slice up the cheese and serve it with crackers and some black and green olives. Or take a 8oz. square of cream cheese - slap it on a plate and pour salsa over it and serve with chips. And for the kids dont forget the string-cheese stix :)
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-09-2003 - 2:04pm
Thanks everybody - those were all great ideas! I really appreciate your input. I had so little time Saturday that I just grabbed some cheeses (and a salami. I never do that, but there it was next to the cheese) and some crackers, threw it all on a tray, grabbed some grape tomatoes and a bottle of ranch dressing, and threw out some fresh grapes. (I already had celery and baby carrots at home) And I splurged on frozen little quiches just b/c they were in the freezer next to the cheese display. (that was crazy. I can't believe how much those darn things cost, and then no one ate them)

unluckily for me, someone brought a tray of chocolate brownies to the party, so of course that's *all* the kids wanted to eat, and I spent about an hour the next day getting chocolate out of the carpet. bleah.

those sandwiches sound yummy. I think I'll make them this week and my son and I can have them for lunch. I needed something we could eat in the car in between morning camp and afternoon daycare, so thanks!

-Ellen

p.s. I'm a single (divorced) mom and I wish I'd started reading this board a couple years ago. I will be a regular now! :)

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-10-2003 - 11:37am
We're so glad you decided to hang around here... you'll find wonderful ladies and great ideas! Plus we play some fun games and we throw in a Q&E recipe here and there too! LOL.

Hope you get your carpet cleaned up... chocolate is a bugger to get out sometimes. Hey, at least you've got some snacks to munch on now... that is the bright side.

Have a great week and we're all looking forward to getting to know you better!

*** Daisy ***

BabyFoot.jpg picture by cl-daisy526