Meat loaf recipe???

iVillage Member
Meat loaf recipe???
Wed, 06-11-2003 - 11:28am
Hi All,

Does anyone know of a good but traditional meat loaf recipe?I've always wanted to try it but have never known how.Thanks for taking the time to look,

Sophie

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-15-2003 - 4:15pm
There are two main types of meatloaf (not counting Swedish meatballs) -- red (tomato-flavored) and brown ("gravy"-flavored - often featuring onions and/or mushrooms). I prefer the tomato versions and I have found that a "topping" of ketchup mixed with dry mustard and brown sugar makes a meatloaf that everyone I've ever served it to has loved regardless of exactly what recipe I used to make the loaf.

Besides the Lipton Onion soup (on the box) recipe, there is also a canned tomato product (Hunt's, I think) called "For Meatloaf" or something like that. There is a recipe on the back of it and it is pretty good -- I've made it a couple of times, but added dry mustard and brown sugar to the final sauce! Look for it on the grocery shelves with other "tomatoes plus" cans like "Chili Ready" (which contains onions and chili powder), etc.

Community Leader
Sat, 06-14-2003 - 7:10pm
Sweetheart, when meatloaf make me my living (restaurant owner here) I had to have better meatloaf than anyone's mom on the planet. And it had to be pretty in a 5 pound loaf on a buffet table if I was catering. No problem.

Put 1 egg per pound of ground meat (any variety of meat) into a bowl with the meat, and start adding depths of flavor and texture like chopped onion, bell pepper, celery, and mushrooms. Add some tomato sauce (not too much, you are not making soup), garlic and raw oatmeal as a binder. use any herbs for seasoning that strike your mood. Thyme, oregano, basil, ...or just forget that part and go for granny's plain old MEAT LOAF.

Free form the meat loaf. loaf pans are for bread, not meat,and if you make it in a loaf pan, it's hard to serve and greasy. And it does not cook evenly like free formed meatloaf. I make an oblong mound on a flat baking sheet (not a dark colored one) then karate chop it down the middle to make a trench. Fill the trench with tomato sauce and paint it all over the loaf and bake it.

At home I use a can of condensed tomato soup, half mixed in the loaf and half in the trench mixed with ketchup, instead of tomato sauce. It blows the nutritional values but who cares, you are eating meat loaf, not health food.

Hide things in your meat loaf, not your wedding ring or your dh's slipper, but like hard boiled eggs or a log of zesty cheese. Or a roll of fresh spinach, smoked ham, some young asparagus spears, or parboiled new potatoes, you would be amazed how elegant a meatloaf can be.

k-roni

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-11-2003 - 4:13pm
daisy,

that is so classic...that is the recipe i have made for about 20 years...and my mother did the same way before me! its the best around...

my husband thinks his is better, puts all kinds of fancy stuff in it..but my daughter and i dont like it as much, of course we say nothing but YUMMMMMMM!!! :)

i'm new to the board here..i just had a baby she's 3 months old so i'm always out looking for easy/fast recipes ya know!

and to meet any new friends is always great!

cheers!

laura

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-11-2003 - 1:01pm
Hi Sophie and welcome to the board! Meatloaf is a big joke around our house. For the first 5 years of my marriage (23 years in June) I tried many, MANY, meatloaves with no success. My husband didn't like any of them. He at them because he was hungry but none of them tickled his fancy. He invited a friend of his over for dinner one night and I just happened to be trying a new meatloaf recipe that night... and of course... disaster! That guy STILL to this day teases me about my meatloaf. Anyway...

Here is my recipe: Go buy a box of Lipton Dry Onion Soup Mix... it has the best meatloaf recipe on the back! Everyone that I have ever served this to raves about it. Try it out and see what you think. I believe the ingredients are egg, bread crumbs, ketchup, onion soup mix ... easy as pie!

Please come back and let us know what you do and how it turns out... we love to hear!

*** Daisy ***

BabyFoot.jpg picture by cl-daisy526

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-11-2003 - 12:28pm
Welcome Sophie!

I remember when I was first out on my own and I was craving meatloaf like my mom made but didn't have her recipe so I called and my Dad answered, mom wasn't home. He looked and he looked through her recipe box and couldn't find it. Eventually he got a cookbook and found a recipe and read it to me. I tried it and it was good but not mom's! :) I still have that recipe but it's now called Dad's Cookbook Meatloaf! :)

Since then my mom has taught me how she does hers, and I've adapted it a bit to my taste. I'd will try to explain it. It's hard because few exact measurements!

1lb of hamburger break into pieces into a large bowl. Add one egg, some diced onion, green pepper, celery(opt), lots of ketchup (1/4cup) a squirt of mustard, some garlic powder, salt, pepper and a dash of thyme. Using your hands squish together until well mixed. Start breaking up small pieces of dried bread and adding to it. Squishing and stirring together until moist and fairly firm. You want to add about 6-10 pieces of bread.. if not wet enough or you add too much bread add anouther egg or more ketchup and mix in well. Put into a 9x13 pan and form into a oval about 4" high and however long. Squirt ketchup onto the top and bake until done! Slice and serve!

Good Luck,

Nicky