Tuesday Two

iVillage Member
Tuesday Two
Tue, 06-17-2003 - 9:35am
1. Do you still do anything as an adult that you also did as a child? Something like not steppping on the sidewalk cracks, checking underneath your bed before going to sleep or getting out crayons and coloring?

2. (shamelessly stolen from another board) What are your special or quirky qualities, talents and/or characteristics? Are your eyes intensely blue? Can you do a backbend from standing up? Are you wonderful in the kitchen? Are you the best there has ever been at Scrabble?

Happy Tuesday!

Jo

Jo, Community Leader for
Childfree by Choice on Health http://

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-17-2003 - 11:00am
I had to think a few minutes for these. Y'all are going to think I'm weird, but the one thing I thought of that I still do is melt cheese in my soup. It used to gross my parents out, so I only do it in the safety and comfort of my own kitchen, but whether it's Campbell's chicken noodle or something I made up on my own, I like to put cheese in my bowl while the soup is steaming.

And in keeping with the theme, one of my talents is the ability to make soup out of whatever's in the cupboard and fridge.

I don't know why I'm thinking of soup. It's so hot outside now I don't even want to walk to my car. (And I'm not a fan of cold soups, so don't even suggest it.)

btw, I just received a Betty Crocker Quick and Easy Recipe cookbook (it's my b-day) and I was very excited until I started looking thru the recipes and realized almost all the main courses involve sauces or casseroles that my 4-year-old would never eat. He's at that stage where everything has to be separate and not touching anything else. I'm divorced, so there's no way I'm making *two* separate meals! I need "Quick and Easy and Loved by Preschoolers (but not Macaroni and Cheese)" I get tired of noodles with sauce on the side, and chicken nuggets. bleah!

-Ellen, who should be working and not posting random thoughts of food at the moment

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-17-2003 - 11:44am
Happy Birthday!!! I hope it's a good one.

As for ideas for your four year old, how about getting some of those divided plates? Have you tried that? What kind of food does he like, other than chicken nuggets or mac&cheese? If you give me some ideas, maybe I can come up with some variations for you. I know there's also, or there used to be, a Picky Eater board on the ParentsPlace channel. If you want, I can find the url for you. We'll be happy to try to put our heads together and see what we can come up with here though. I was quite the picky child myself.

Talk to ya soon!

Jo

Jo, Community Leader for

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-17-2003 - 11:02pm
1. Do you still do anything as an adult that you also did as a child? Something

like not steppping on the sidewalk cracks, checking underneath your bed before

going to sleep or getting out crayons and coloring?

~I confess that I still sleep with a stuffed bear. I am so used to having

it stuffed under my arm that I can't get comfortable without it.

2. (shamelessly stolen from another board) What are your special or quirky qualities, talents and/or characteristics? Are your eyes intensely blue? Can you do a

backbend from standing up? Are you wonderful in the kitchen? Are you the best

there has ever been at Scrabble?

~I have very thick curly hair. It's dark red, but would be light brown without

the help of my hairdresser ;-) I can also touch my tongue to my nose. I'm a

trivia game freak, not bad either.

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-18-2003 - 1:04pm
With all of your trivia knowledge, do you ever call in to radio stations if they're asking a question you know the answer to? Have you ever won anything like that?

Jo

Jo, Community Leader for

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-18-2003 - 4:50pm
ok, you're gonna laugh... he loves broiled salmon and couscous. no toppings on either, though. he loves broccoli and corn on the cob (nothing on them, not even butter). he likes sauteed mushrooms and steak (but not touching of course). he likes baked chicken. once in awhile he'll eat a hot dog or hamburger (frozen, veggie) minus the bun, but they're not his favorites.

and of course ice cream and junk food, especially cheese doodles.

I usually end up baking a bunch of chicken on Sun afternoon and doling it out over the course of a week. we alternate with pasta. he likes turkey, but it's a pain to cook, esp. since there's just the two of us and it can take a week to get thru a single breast. I just don't have the time or energy to prepare anything on weeknights. if I didn't have him to cook for I'd probably end up eating cold cereal every night. and I'm picky about fish - I only buy it from a certain store that's not close by, so salmon is a once-in-a-long-while indulgence.

I'm tired of the same ol' same ol'. he thinks lasagna is yucky, casseroles are disgusting, and refuses to eat any dish that has parts that are mixed together or even touching. he won't eat beans, so my favorite Mexican dishes are out. and he doesn't eat breads, other than cereal. my ex and I used to prepare sumptuous vegetarian feasts several times each week. I dream of hummus and spinach salads, spicy Indian food, and stuffed manicotti. not that it's so hard to make, it's just that I don't have much time and I'd end up throwing most of it away, unless I want to entertain every week, which I don't.

-Ellen

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-19-2003 - 11:39am
Send the kid to my house - he and I would get along, just fine, LOL!

Are you cooking the whole turkey, or just a breast?

How old is your son? Do you let him chose things at the store, when you do the shopping?

Have you had him checked for food intolerances? I've found that our bodies tell us things that we need to learn how to "listen" to and it sounds as though he is exhibiting some of your own "pickiness." ;-)

I have a son, now 24, who is also a picky eater; but, not as bad as he used to be during his formative years. He will now eat broccoli with mayonnaise; but won't eat eggs. He will eat a steak or a hamburger, but not other meat, including poultry, and forget any fish or seafood! He eats a variety of fruits and veggies, but not squash. He has an aversion to mushy textures; sounds like your son does, too. But, he's also a junk food junkie and would live on cereal, if he could. I think these kids are craving the carbs.

I have lupus and many food intolerances. I think my son "inherited" the food intolerances (luckily, lupus skips a generation, so my doc says). We were both fed soy milk and goats milk (he was colicky for 6 months!).

The moral of my story is to see if your son's physician can determine if there's an underlying reason, other than aversions to textures and flavors, that may be the issue. The only way I got my son to broaden his tastes, at all, was to let him make choices at the store, with guidance. Then, it became his choice to add more to his menu. Took years, but it has been worth the effort to make sure he was getting the nutrition he needed.

I hope this helps. You're not alone!

Alysia :-)

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-19-2003 - 3:15pm
Oh boy! Reminds me of my (now grown up) daughter who at the age of four decided she would eat only white food. She would not, however eat potatoes, but would eat french fries and had a tantrum when it was pointed out that they were potatoes and that they are brown not white. She outgrew it in about six months, so have hope!

Would he accept the couscous if you cooked it in vegetable broth or added finely chopped or pureed veggies or would that violate the "not touching" rule? At least he eats broccoli but how much of that can you serve.

As for turkey, I have the butcher at the supermarket saw it up for me. If a whole frozen turkey does not have a metal thing holding the legs, they can saw it in half then in quarters. They repackage it and when I get home I wrap the quarters separately for the freezer. I usually either roast a quarter or make soup out of it, and I freeze the cooked meat in serving size portions. Maybe if you ask they'll do that with a frozen turkey breast.

I'm cooking just for myself in my gloriously empty nest, so I can understand about things like lasagne made in large batches and not finished. Lately I've been buying salmon when it's nice looking and on sale and cooking it all on a George Foreman grill. I freeze the cooked pieces and they're easy to warm up in the microwave - maybe that would work for you.

What about fruit? And if he eats junk food will he eat something like zucchini or carrot bread? I'm trying to think of ways to sneak in some variety.

It's tough when you're trying to please everyone and never get to please yourself!

Elaine

Elaine

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-21-2003 - 8:43pm
It took me a while to find this link to a great iVillage website with recipes for kids. Thought you might like it.

http://pages.ivillage.com/joruss/kids4.htm

Have fun!

Elaine

Elaine

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-24-2003 - 12:31pm
Hi Alysia - thanks for the suggestions. I do try to let him help me plan meals before we go shopping. And yes, just the turkey breast -it's just the 2 of us, so anything more would be way too much. And we planted some tomatoes and watermelons in our back yard this spring, although I fear too late for them to do really well, but we'll see in a couple weeks. He's only 4, so I don't know if it's worth it to have him tested. I think he's just at that picky "no mushy foods, nothing mixed together" stage. I remember at least one of my sisters doing the same thing. Heck, I had a sister that refused to eat anything except milk and bread for about a year at this age! So I'm just going to try to hang on until he's about 6 and then we'll see what happens.

And I think he's still too young to try to create a meal on his own. At least, I'm not up to the clean-up afterwards.

-Ellen

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-24-2003 - 12:35pm
Hi Elaine - Thanks for your suggestions, too! I'm relieved to hear I'm not alone ;>

He says he "hates" soup, so I haven't pushed it too hard. He does like fruit, it's just a matter of me buying it and washing it before it goes bad. (We live in FL so you practically have to eat fresh stuff the day you buy it) Zucchini and carrot bread are good ideas. My sister is sending me her old bread maker, so maybe I'll let him help me with those. The problem there is keeping myself from eating too much! lol!

-Ellen