How was your celebration?

iVillage Member
How was your celebration?
Sat, 07-05-2003 - 11:47am
If you celebrated, that is....

We had our big bash Thursday night (the 3rd) because of my husband's work schedule.

Oh my... I grilled up a mess of hot dogs, hamburgers, brats & brat-burgers. I saute'd some onions and made a mess of potato salad and coconut cream pies. My friends brought baked beans and a cheese dip with chips (on the request of her son) and 2 other desserts. I made a veggie tray too. It was fun. After we ate, we all went outside (it was 90 degrees here and VERY HUMID!). The sun had gone behind the trees and it was a little cooler and the kids started jumping on our trampoline and then we got a couple of our friends on it.. boy was that a hoot!

Then when it was dark, we started lighting up our sparklers and other fireworks. My daughters bought these things called Piccilo Peets and they let off this loud shrill scream that sounds very eery! LOL My husband was lighting some of these things that will scare the dickens out of you. I think they were called Cracker Bombs. Our friends brought some others that were pretty good too. Then all of a sudden, a car came down the street... it was the police! Someone had complained. But, I know who it was because we had already cleared it with our immediate neighbors (that we get along with) but this guy lives behind my next door neighbor and he is not a nice person. He'd been lighting them all week long after midnight when we were in bed and we took it in stride. But... he had the nerve to complain about us! My husband was not happy at all, he thought it put a damper on our party especially when the police started looking around our yard with flashlights! I would think that police would have better things to do than search my yard for firecrackers! But... actually, we did have fun.

My friends said it was the best party they'd been to in a LONG time! Lots of action! LOL I felt bad but they kept saying it was fun... lol. I guess I've got some weird friends... ROFL!!

Hope you all had an uneventful day!

*** Daisy ***

BabyFoot.jpg picture by cl-daisy526

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-05-2003 - 6:18pm
Our's was good. We didn't do much. Ran errands mostly. I contributed to the economy, lol, by buying a pair of walking shoes. Then I went to Mom's and we baked for Kenneth's package that we mailed today. He's getting a whole pecan pie, berry berry muffins and chocolate chocolate chip & pecan cookies. They were delish! Our celebration consisted of dh shooting off (or setting aflame) a couple of little firework thingys. And we watched some of the fireworks on tv. I also walked almost half a mile on our new treadmill.

It was a pretty good day.

Jo

Jo, Community Leader for
Childfree by Choice on Health http://

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-05-2003 - 5:54pm
Well, I believe I have been in a cabin or two like that! But... it still sounds like a nice place to go... and visit with family & friends. I remember as a kid, my mom and dad rented a little cabin for a few nights and one of the legs of their bed fell through the floor. I was scared to death as a kid but now that i'm older and remembering... i wonder just what the heck they were up to! LOL

*** Daisy ***

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-05-2003 - 5:51pm
ROFLMBO!!!!!! Oh man, i am cracking up!! I have to admit... that would be me... the first one asleep and the first one snoring! lol.. thanks for the laugh, Tracy! I needed it!

*** Daisy ***

PS: Fess up Sandy..... lol

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-05-2003 - 4:02pm
It was all types of music; from 'America the Beautiful', which was sung, to instrumentals such as 1812 Overture and Sousa marches.

Daughter loved the fireworks.

photo BeachChairsRed.jpg

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-05-2003 - 3:51pm
Maybe it's no longer as much fun because you have become a contestant in the old folks snoring contest instead of a judge LOL. It sounds wonderful, walls or not. I think most of us are jealous.

Tracy

photo BeachChairsRed.jpg

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-05-2003 - 3:05pm
Oh Daisy -

It is NO estate believe me. The cottage has one very tiny bathroom - just got a shower put in a couple of years ago - before that we all cleaned up in the lake or with hot water boiled on the stove! The top floor was like one big room full of beds - Everyone slept upstairs except my Aunt and Uncle - they had the lux suite on the 1st floor (lol) - no door on it just a curtain across. The top floor was like a flop house - everyone just found a spot and flopped - all of us "kids" would tell ghost stories in the dark with flashlights while the "grown ups" played cards down stairs - then when it was "lights out" time we would all bet on who would start snoring 1st. We had one uncle that was the king of snorers (spelling?). It was just so much fun. Now there are actual walls upstairs and all the fun is gone.

photo RainyDay_zpsece18f80.jpg

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-05-2003 - 2:44pm
I love patriotic concerts! Was it a singing concert or band music? I used to be in the marching band in high school and it always reminds me of those days. We had one too in the next town over but it was too dang hot for me... i cannot handle that heat, it makes me sick to my stomach and testy!

It sounds like you had a great time... did your daughter like the fireworks?

Have a great week-end!

*** Daisy ***

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-05-2003 - 2:41pm
LOL... I'm glad I wasn't the only one who had a run-in with the law! ROFL I guess Tracy had the day off or else she might have had to go out searching for firecrackers too! I live in a pretty small town so I guess our lawmen didn't have a whole lot to do. It did liven up the party though... maybe they were bored and wanted to join our fun party??!!??

Glad you had a good time and your cottage (or should I say family estate) sounds really nice! I'd love a place to go to like that. Maybe someday....

Have a great week-end!

*** Daisy ***

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-05-2003 - 1:50pm
We celebrated yesterday at our family's cottage at a local lake. It is one of those old time family places - my aunt owns the cottage - my folks own the lot next to it - and another aunt owns a cottage in back of our lot - we have been going to this lake which is about 1/2 hour to 45 minute ride for most of the family members - for as long as I can remember and since I am shall we say pushing 50 over the hill as hard as I can - it has been a long - long - long time. A lot of the elders - have past away, but there is always still a big gang on the 4th and on Labor Day when we have our annual "pig roast".

I brought the cole slaw recipe I posted below and wish I had Tracy's brownie recipe before - I would have made up a batch - I made two pies - one french blueberry and one strawberry rubarb. Both came out yummy.

A bunch of us went swimming in the lake and had a water ball toss just like the old days! Too much fun! We had sparklers after dark - smoke helped keep the bugs away - AND the POLICE showed up at a cottage across from ours - Do not know what they were looking for - maybe Osam or some of his gang (LOL) - but they did a pretty good search of the property. Guess it was a policy kind of holiday (lol).

Sandy

photo RainyDay_zpsece18f80.jpg

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-05-2003 - 1:39pm
We went to a patriotic concert and picnic Thursday night. We had fried chicken, pasta salad, fruit, and veggies with dip. I also made my caramel brownies (recipe posted in section below).

Friday we went swimming. I then took my daughter to the city's fireworks. My son is only 1, so he couldn't last until 10:00pm. We have some of the driveway style fireworks to do at home tomorrow night.

It's been beastly hot and dry here- upper 90's. No rain in weeks. Nothing sounds as good as swimming.

Tracy

photo BeachChairsRed.jpg