A ? about marinading.........

iVillage Member
A ? about marinading.........
Thu, 07-17-2003 - 12:56pm
HI folks - I've a question that is always a dillema for me: When marinating ,say chicken, do you or do you Not poke the chicken?? I mean, do you take a fork and prick it before you put the marinade on, or are you NOT supposed to do that? I'm thinking it's okay to do it beFore it starts cooking cause I don't believe we're supposed to poke it while it's cooking. I cook chicken a lot, but never marinade and just thought I'd give it a go.

Thanks for your ideas.

tracy, a pretty lousy cook

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-18-2003 - 7:09am
Hi again Tracy...

Here's what I do. If the pieces of chicken are thick, i either cut them into thinner pieces (boneless, skinless breasts) or I shoot them in the thickest parts with my marinade injector, I also shoot them in the thick parts if it's chicken on bone. I love that thing. But... if you don't have an injector, I'd just let the marinade do it's thing for a longer period of time. I think overnight is the best. That way the acids in the marinade will break down the chicken and make it tender and juicy and very tasty. I think if you wanted to poke the thick parts it would be okay as long as you don't poke it while it's cooking, that would let all the juice run out. I think the holes that are made while marinating seal up when they hit the heat. Do you usually cook boneless or chicken on the bone?

*** Daisy ***

BabyFoot.jpg picture by cl-daisy526

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-18-2003 - 8:12am
What a great idea about the 'injector' thing - - I'll have to find me one of those.

I usually (now, I don't cook much) cook boneless, skinless chicken breasts. If grilling, we go with the chicken breast with bones and skin. However, we've not got that down yet and still end up drying it out.

I Will look for that injector thing - - I think that's a great idea!

Thanks again Daisy.

~tracy~

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-18-2003 - 9:50am
A tip about grilling chicken (with bones)... I always boil mine first and then dip it in bbq sauce and grill. That way i know the inside is done as soon as the outside gets the way i like it. Also, you might want to wait for the bbq sauce until you have some grill marks on it because the sugar in the bbq sauce burns real easy. Just baste it and whallah! ( i know that's spelled wrong but i like it.. lol)

*** Daisy ***

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-18-2003 - 11:38am
~~~ Just baste it and whallah! ( i know that's spelled wrong but i like it.. lol)

You are a trip!(LOL)

Another great idea - thank you. Okay, see, I'm so lame, how Long DO you boil it first?? 20 minutes 30 - - come on - fess up!

Gottcha on the bbq sauce burning. We don't use that on chicken - my hub has this recipe from his dad that everybody loved...he bastes with some conbination of Seven Seas italian dressing mix, and seasoned salt and garlic salt and oil and vinegar....the seasonings are very good, but it is always stringy and dried....BUT, I am going to have him do the boil and try that way....I bet that would work.

Thanks Daisy,

~~tracy

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-18-2003 - 1:20pm
OKay, Tracy....... while you're out looking for an injector.... find a meat thermometer too and buy it! Chicken (whole or pieces) is cooked when the thickest part (usually legs)reaches 170 and breasts are done at 160. That was my "official" answer... now, my "unofficial" answer is i boil it long enough for it to get this stuff on top that looks like gray-brown scum ... lol. I think it usually takes about 30 minutes but breasts (skinless/boneless) can be cooked right on the grill since they cook in about 5 minutes on each side.

I hope you don't mind my "unofficialness" of this answer.... lol. Man, i'm coming up with ALL kinds of words today! ROFL!

*** Daisy ***

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-18-2003 - 4:38pm
You are a trip girl!

Jo

Jo, Community Leader for
Childfree by Choice on Health http://

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-18-2003 - 5:24pm
~~~i boil it long enough for it to get this stuff on top that looks like gray-brown scum ..

~~~Well, most of my food looks pretty scummy - - so - - (VBG) - - - okay, I'll shoot for the scum.

And I'm perfectly comfortable with your 'unofficialness' ness.

~~tracy

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-19-2003 - 10:09am
Hi Everyone -

Just something I picked up from Bobby Flay - most people grill there chicken on too hot a grill - if you are using a gas grill the thing to do is heat up your grill on high - plop on the chicken then turn the heat down to about medium - close the top - after about five minutes check to see if under side looks done - flip over and do same on other side. You can brush on more marinade if you like. Another trick is to get a Reynolds grill bag - you put your chicken in it and seal it up. You can put in extra marinade or BBQ sauce before sealing - plop on grill - there is a cooking time sheet in the box with the bags - different timing for either boneless or bone in. Also the bags make for Quick & Easy clean up! Something I LOVE more than Quick and Easy cooking! I agree with you Daisy about par boiling your bone in chicken - it helps keep your chicken moist AND you can pretty much know your chicken will be cooked all the way through.

Sandy

photo RainyDay_zpsece18f80.jpg