Just call me Elly May...

iVillage Member
Just call me Elly May...
Mon, 07-21-2003 - 7:19am
I made my Cucumber Rolls (recipe below) last night. They were something right off the 'Beverly Hillbillies'. Elly May always made bread that they compared to rocks. My rolls were very similar. I cannot get the hang of yeast bread no matter how hard I try. These had an good flavor, but were heavy to pick up and had a very heavy texture. Yuck. I guess I will just keep trying yeast recipes. Maybe one day I'll figure it out.

Tracy

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-21-2003 - 12:58pm
TRACY - - IT's the Curse of the Tracys!!!

ME TOO!! and I'm tracy.

I once worked all DAY on this "herbed" yeast bread. Wasted the ENTIRE DAY! I had such High hopes - - It LOOKED good in the oven and smelled delish - - but, it felt like it weighed a ton and it was like a brick!! My husband teases me to this day about my base-ball bat I baked. He wanted to shellac it and use it as a door stop!

I did have success with a yeast recipe ONCE - - made clover rolls and I'm telling you they were THE most delicious thing I've ever baked. There were 12 in that batch, and I swear I've Never been able to duplicate my success. Must have been sheer luck.

Guess we'll have to keep trying!

tracy

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-21-2003 - 8:37am
Well, Ellie.... I'm with you! I can't do them either... i am just not a good baker. The only thing i can make are cathead biscuits. I'm so glad that I'm not the only one.. lol. Were the critters fixin' to howl when they ate the leftovers??? ROFL

*** Daisy ***

BabyFoot.jpg picture by cl-daisy526