Domestically Challenged Needing Advice

iVillage Member
Domestically Challenged Needing Advice
Thu, 07-24-2003 - 2:16pm
Recent Lurker here...For some reason cooking has always been a challenge for me. I thought I would try again. I pulled this Beef Stew recipe (below) off the board and bought the stuff for it and I am making it now.

Questions:

Salt & Pepper to taste -- I put a 1/2 tsp of each since surely people don't taste the flour. Does this sound like enough? I stopped calling my mom for answeres because all she ever says is " I don't know, I don't pay attention - I just put some in?

Do I add any water? or will meat make juice later? I didn't because recipe didn't say so. If not, then that is one thing I have done wrong before because I usually add water and have never added flour before.

Oh I omitted the peppers and onions. Going to put in Frozen mixed vegetables.

Recipe below is what I am using. Lol..last words before DH left for work were Good Luck!

Crockpot Easy Beef Stew

4 medium red potatoes

1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat

1/3 cup flour

salt and pepper to taste

1 14-oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained

3 cups frozen stir-fry bell peppers and onions

Scrub potatoes and cut each into quarters. Place in bottom of 4 quart slow cooker. Mix flour, salt and pepper and toss with beef to coat. Add to crockpot. Add undrained tomatoes.

Cover crockpot and cook on low for 7-8 hours until beef and potatoes are tender. Add stir fry vegetables. Cover and cook on low for 30-40 minutes until vegetables are hot and tender. 4-6 servings

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-24-2003 - 3:31pm
Well, hello there Jessica, welcome to the board! I'm so glad that you de-lurked! I am also glad you're trying this recipe, just keep trying... none of us were good cooks at first. And you did just fine... although most the time you add about 1/2 the amount of pepper that you do salt. It will be okay though.. if you need more salt, just salt it on your plate. No need for water because the tomatoes have plenty of juice along with the liquid that will come from the roast which will combine with the flour and make a nice gravy. If you hadn't added the tomatoes with the juice, i would have added water. I think you'll be happy! Please let us know how it turns out... i can't wait to hear!

Keep coming back ... the ladies here are great and love to give advice too! No luck needed... you did great! I bet it's smelling awfully good there.....

*** Daisy ***

BabyFoot.jpg picture by cl-daisy526

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-24-2003 - 7:04pm
Thanks...It is starting to smell good. I just went and checked on it and got nervous again. It looked kinda thick but I am not touching it. lol..now I know why nothing comes out right..I mess with it too much. When I said I added water to my previous stews I added alot like you would boil pototoes with. No wonder my meat never had any flavor. Oh I am a pepper lover and my husband always gripes at me. Pepper, chili powder and garlic - I always get in trouble...except I fixed the garlic problem with DH help. I was cooking and he told me to omit the garlic of course I wouldn't. I told him I would cut the garlic portion in half. So he read the recipe and went to the dictionary. I didn't know a clove and a bulb where not the same thing. That was a few years ago, I am getting better..LOL

Jessica - 27

DH - Pharmacist 28

DD - 7

DS - Due 9/15

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-25-2003 - 11:04am
Ooh my Goodness!! I bet things WERE garlicky at your house! ROFL... that is pretty funny. Not laughing at you, just with you... lol. Oh, believe me, we've all had our mishaps! I couldn't make a decent meatloaf for the first 5 years of my marriage and meatloaf was my husband's favorite meal! I finally found a recipe on the back of an Onion Soup Mix envelope and Wallah... delicious meatloaf! He loved it...

I hope this inspires you to try more recipes... nothing better than serving up a delicious meal to your loved ones and having them go on and on about how good it is! This is the place for you though... we all love quick & easy! LOL

Please let us know how it tastes... i wondered about no onions in that recipe... i believe i probably added some but it should be good either way especially with the tomatoes. Congratulations, girl!

*** Daisy ***

PS: Every time you open the crock-pot, you need to add 15 minutes to cooking time. That's what makes it so moist is that no moisture escapes, it just drips back down into the meat... yummy!

BabyFoot.jpg picture by cl-daisy526

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-25-2003 - 6:38pm
Hi Jessica - -

Hey, just want you to know you are not alone with the questions!

I used to call my Mom too - - unfortunately, my Mom's cooking wasn't much better than mine!(LOL)

I love a good stew and I think I might try yours sometime. . . . we seldom eat red meat, but I LOVE the veggies cooked slow with the meat juices, so, I'll eat the veggies and let hub have the COW!(LOL)

Now you've got me wanting that "stew smell"!

Hope it's yummy!!

~~tracy

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-25-2003 - 8:15pm
It turned out great!! I told my mom I made an adult meal. She just laughed. Meat wasn't tough and it had flavor. Best part is I think I can do it twice in a row. Nothing is more irritating than doing it right one time and the next time it is a flop.

I have all the fixin's for the meatloaf recipe already. Those were the 2 I printed off to go shopping for. I think I will make it next week since husband works this weekend and can eat left over stew. =) I just want to learn to make some basic recipes stuff first. Then I will try to go for the hard stuff like Gravy. LOL.

Jessica

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-25-2003 - 9:13pm
Jessica - - you are too funny!!

Adult Meals!! I know exactly how you feel! There was a time when the only thing I cooked in the oven was taco chips with cheese melting on them! Adult indeed!!

I made fried chicken for the first time last week - - then tried again the other night....well, I was 'bold' and mixed up what I did last time thinking I could make it better and it ended up not near as good....so back to my original method. So, I'm still trying to make something good more than 1 time.

Gotta keep trying!!

Here's hoping your meatloaf is just as great as the Stew!! Good going Jessica!!

~~tracy

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-26-2003 - 12:10am
So glad to hear it turned out good. I think I'm going to try your recipe. It sounds great.

Let us know if there is any particular style of recipe you are wanted to try. We can certainly help.

Tracy

TracyPalmPoster.jpg picture by cl-daisy526