I want to start a home catering biz!

iVillage Member
I want to start a home catering biz!
Fri, 08-01-2003 - 7:28pm
I just recently had my 2nd baby and my 6 wk maternity leave was wonderful. My hubby actually wants me to stay home with our girls, but I need to have some kind of income. I love to cook,and thought of starting my own home catering business.

Has anyone done this/ever tried this? Any good pointers if I decide to do this?

Right now I work part-time as a legal asst, and I really like my job, but I want more time with my kids, besides $800 a month in daycare is killing us.

Thank for any suggestions you may have.

Angie

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-02-2003 - 6:48pm
Hi there and welcome to the board! I wish I could help you more but I've never done anything like that either. I sure would like to though... but, sadly, my job has the health insurance that we need, my husband is self employed (works as a contract worker for FedEx). I don't know if anyone else can help you but we'll sure be here for moral support and ideas. I sure do wish you luck... please keep us updated! I can live my fantasy vicariously through you.. lol.

*** Daisy ***

BabyFoot.jpg picture by cl-daisy526

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-02-2003 - 7:45pm
Hey Angie. I don't know how well this is going to cut and paste, but I went to amazon.com and did a search for books and catering. I got the following results:

How to Start a Home-Based Catering Business, 4th Edition (How to Start) -- by Denise Vivaldo (Author); Paperback

Buy new: $12.57 -- from: $11.48

2. The Complete Caterer: A Practical Guide to the Craft and Business of Catering -- by Elizabeth Lawrence; Paperback

Buy new: $19.00 -- from: $13.89

3. How to Start a Catering Business: When You Don't Know What the Hell You're Doing -- by Jennifer Williams; Paperback

Buy new: $11.45 -- from: $8.70

I'd say any book store will have something that would help. Good luck to you. Let us know how it goes.

Tracy

TracyPalmPoster.jpg picture by cl-daisy526
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-05-2003 - 10:45am
Thank you so much for the advice and encouragement. This has really been on my mind alot the last couple of days and I am anxious to get started. I will let everyone know how it's going.

Thanks again,

Angie