Camping trip

iVillage Member
Camping trip
Sun, 08-03-2003 - 8:49pm
Help! My family and I are going on a camping trip this coming weekend and I have no idea what foods to bring. I want something that is easy to bring and prepare. It also has to be something that two toddlers would eat! Yet, I am not really into poptarts for the whole weekend! Any ideas out there???
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-04-2003 - 9:43am
Hi Lynn and welcome to the board! I'll go searching for some recipes for you (since i'm not much of a camper) but Jo camps and I'm sure she'll have some for you. I'll post them down below in the RECIPE COLLECTION section for you. Hope you keep time coming back!

*** Daisy ***

BabyFoot.jpg picture by cl-daisy526

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-04-2003 - 8:06pm
Don't forget the S'Mores! You will need graham crackers - marshmallows and Hershey's cocholate bars! Toast the marshmallows over the campfire - place on top of one graham cracker - top with Hershey's chocolate piece add another graham cracker and as Daisy would say "Viola!"

Sandy

photo RainyDay_zpsece18f80.jpg

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-05-2003 - 6:02pm
Used to Love to Camp!!

One thing we did was slice potatoes and a bit of chicken and maybe a green pepper or onion with a spoon of butter and fold it up in aluminum foil and cook on grill. That was fun and easy. Good too. Something else we did was crack eggs, while still at home, into a pitcher that could be sealed up and put in the cooler....then, next morning, after cooking up some sausage, just pour in pan for scrambled eggs. I always thought hot dogs were extra good when cooked over the fire along with a pan of pork and beans. . . . Now I'm getting hungry!(lol)

Do be careful with the little ones around the fire. I'm sure it's going to be a wonderful experience. Have a great time!

~~tracy

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-05-2003 - 6:11pm
This camp talk got me looking around - - here's a site I found that sounded "interesting". Give it a look-see:

http://www.conservation.state.mo.us/conmag/1997/02/4.html

~~tracy

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-05-2003 - 7:21pm
Girl... i was SO burned out on camping as a kid. I've only now just begun to think it might be fun again and I'm 42!! LOL Every summer my mom, sister and I would camp the whole summer at a nearby campground and my dad drove back and forth to work every day and would bring in things we needed from home.

I was thinking though that if i had a camper with air conditioning, i just might like to go again... lol. I am NOT a roughing it kind of girl... and i would BUY my campfire wood... or take come that we've got chopped up here out in the field. OKay... so i'm not a camper... just point me to the nearest hotel with a pool and i'll be happy!

*** Daisy ***

BabyFoot.jpg picture by cl-daisy526

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-05-2003 - 7:29pm
I agree with you Daisy. It is "Camp Marriott" or nothing for me!

Sandy

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-05-2003 - 9:44pm
Okay, me too. . . I'm 45 and no way am I sleeping on the ground with the bugs anymore....Once, my hub and I went camping - - we were in our little 2 man tent and it started pouring down rain about 10pm. . . we hightailed it out of there and ran to join Hub's Dad in the Pop-up trailer. Well, as we sat in that trailer-thingy, some drunk guy driving his car came driving down the path and must not have been able to tell where he was and made a right turn off the road and missed hitting our tent by ONE FOOT!!! He then drove off the hill-y part and ended up kind of hanging off the side of the hill! When we saw how close those tire tracks were to our tent! - - - well, we did NOT stay in that tent again that trip! Spooky!! BUT, we Did have a yummy breakfast the next morn and the guy was "Real" sorry he almost hit us!!(lol)

~~tracy

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-06-2003 - 8:56pm
My one and ONLY camping trip was in a pop-up camper at Cape Cod. We had sever thunderstorms and the darn thing rock and rolled all night long! Scared the #### out of me and I sworn I would NEVER camp out again!

Sany