Question of the Day (8/14)

iVillage Member
Question of the Day (8/14)
Thu, 08-14-2003 - 7:14am
What do you usually do for lunch?

Mine depends on where I am. If I am at work, I eat horribly (refer to yesterday's fast food discussion LOL). My co-workers and I are insane for Mexican food. We do lots of carry-out from a local Mexican place. We do a lot of Taco Bell too. Both are terrible for me and get expensive. I am a police officer in a school. Co-workers and I have decided to eat healthier, and cheaper, this year. Guess I'll be breaking out the brown bags LOL. If I am home, I eat a lot better. I love soup. I do lots of soup and sandwiches (tuna or turkey) and soup with salad. Making myself very hungry....

Tracy

TracyPalmPoster.jpg picture by cl-daisy526
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-14-2003 - 9:41am
Hi Tracy....

I was just lurking through your board here and had to respond to the question of the day. I struggle with this on a day to day basis. In our office, our downfall is the little italian restaurant with awesome Chicken Rolls. I have found that when I do bring my lunch, I feel better and I seem to lose some weight. It's probably because I eat less, and like you said healthier. But all of that take out food is just so darn tempting!!!!!!

Great question! (I like your board by the way.....hopefully I can stick around)

Lesa

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-14-2003 - 10:42am
Hi Lesa! Welcome! Nice to meet ya. Thanks for delurking. I tend to overindulge too much in take out too, so I know what you mean.

Feel free to stick around. We have a great group of people here.

Jo

Jo, Community Leader for
Childfree by Choice on Health http://

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-14-2003 - 10:44am
Three days a week at work I take frozen dinners like Healthy Choice, Smart Ones, etc. The other two days I eat out but try to eat sensibly. Grilled chicken, baked potatoes, salads and Subway sandwiches. I have been known to get fried chicken fingers from the Piggly Wiggly deli, but not lately. Fried food, ugh! At home I eat better usually.

Jo

Jo, Community Leader for
Childfree by Choice on Health http://

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-14-2003 - 1:14pm
I am only home Saturdays & Sundays and on Saturdays, I usually eat a late breakfast for lunch and Sunday, we will either go out as a family after church or i put something in the oven before we leave and have a family dinner. During work days, i usually take leftovers for lunch. I purposely make extra for supper so that i can do that. If I don't cook or everyone is more hungry than usual, I do admit to making a trip to Rally's or McDonalds ... the other day i found a new Tim Hortons and got a turkey sandwich which was good too. I do like the salads from McDonalds though too and i'll get one of those if I'm feeling yucky.

*** Daisy ***

BabyFoot.jpg picture by cl-daisy526

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-14-2003 - 1:16pm
Hi there Lesa... welcome to the board. Great to have you here and glad that you like the board. Things are kinda slow right now but they will pick up fast when school starts! Thanks for answering our QOTD and I hope that you will stick around so we can get to know you better.

*** Daisy ***

BabyFoot.jpg picture by cl-daisy526

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-14-2003 - 3:15pm
I'm the same way - mexican food is my favorite and of course tacos and burritos are some of the worst things I can eat. I am always tempted by food smells and just to look at something yummy makes me drool. But I'm overweight and have type2 diabetes so I've been trying to be good. My sister wants me to follow her example and do the whole carb-free thing (atkins diet) but my nutritionist says some carbs like whole grain bread and apples are good for you so I am living a borderline carb-free lifestyle. I still eat mexican flavored meats and vegetables but I pass on the tortillas, rice and corn. And at work I still go to the cafeteria but I make myself a breadless deli sandwich (turkey slices wrapped in lettuce leaves stuffed with other veges) or stick to good stuff at the salad bar and use the low-cal dressing instead of ranch or blue cheese, and for snacks I have a little cottage cheese or a cheese stick.

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-14-2003 - 6:30pm
YEAH!! I love it when a lurker de-lurks. We are thrilled to see a new face. Stick around. We have some great recipes.

BTW- I also love Italian food. Breadsticks...mmmm

Tracy

TracyPalmPoster.jpg picture by cl-daisy526
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-14-2003 - 8:11pm
Well for the next several weeks I will be brown bagging it for lunch at work! Hubby and I started on the South Beach Diet on Monday - lunch is fresh veggies - can of tuna or low fat cottage cheese - you are allowed snacks! (if you can call them that) turkey rolls (boston lettuce leaf with a slice of turkey - a red pepper slice and a scalion all rolled up like a cigar!) Can also have a piece of Laughing Cow cheese with celery or Hummus as a dip for fresh veggies (NO CARROTS - too much sugar). Have also had a chicken Cesar Salad for lunch one day.

So far DH has lost 3 pounds and I lost 1 1/2 - figures - Men ALWAYS drop it off so quickly!

Sandy

photo RainyDay_zpsece18f80.jpg