Pickiest Kids!

iVillage Member
Pickiest Kids!
Wed, 08-20-2003 - 3:47pm
Please help. I need meal ideas for two of the world's pickiest eaters (4 & 6). I'll take websites with recipe ideas also. I've looked at some and nothing I see looks like anything my kids will eat. They do not like mixed foods (all caseroles are out!). They won't even eat peanut butter & jelly or hot dogs. I'm pulling my hair out trying to find ways to give them something nutritious that they will eat without throwing a big fit. Any help at all would be great!

Thanks,

Stacie
iVillage Member
In reply to: momypeels
Wed, 09-10-2003 - 1:50pm
I came out of hiding and am trying to post a few helpful things. Actually I've been very busy.

Anyrate no cassroles, no PB&J and no hot dogs. Well from the sound of your msg there's more they won't eat. I suggest you read my post in reply to another picky eater question. I make some suggestions there. But I'll post some recipes here. Oh do they like peanut butter by itself?? Curious.

Pizza Cups - Press One biscuit into each cupcake pan hole. Sprinkle a little browned hamburger in, top with a little spaghetti sauce and then mozarella cheese. Bake in a 400 degree oven until cheese is browned.

Tacos in a Bag

Prepare hamburger seasoned with taco sauce in quantity you need. For each child, open a single-serve foil-type bag of Fritos topped with a spoonful of taco meat. Each child then goes through the "bar" to add whatever toppings he likes: lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, etc

Cheesy Ravioli Dish

1 tbsp olive or vegetable oil

1 medium onion, chopped (use onion powder)

1 large clove garlic, finely chopped (use garlic powder)

26 oz can four cheese flavored spaghetti sauce

15 oz can tomato sauce

1 tsp Italian seasoning

2 25-oz pkgs frozen beef-filled ravioli

2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (add some cheddar too,yummmy)

1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (skip this)

Heat oil in 10" skillet over medium heat. (If using powder skip this) Cook onion and garlic in oil about 4 min, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender. Stir in spaghetti sauce, tomato sauce and Italian seasoning. Place 1 cup of the sauce mixture in bottom of 4-1/2 to 6 quart slow cooker. Add 1 pkg frozen ravioli; top with 1 cup of the cheese. Top with remaining pkg of ravioli; top with remaining 1 cup cheese. Pour remaining sauce mixture over top. Cover and cook on low heat setting 5-7 hrs or until ravioli are tender. Sprinkle with parsley. Serves 12

Hard boiled eggs.... let kids dip in ranch then in crushed cheese cracker crumbs. Go fishing and use them to pick up goldfish or use pretzels dipped in peanut butter, ranch or whatever then fish for goldfish crackers. It's fun for the kids and good food.

Chicken Nuggets

1 egg

2 tablespoons milk

3 cups cornflakes, finely crushed

1 pound boneless chicken breast, cut into 1 or 1 1/2 inch bite-sized pieces

cooking spray

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Whisk eggs and milk together in a small bowl; set aside. Place cornflake crumbs in a gallon-sized zip top bag. Dip each chicken piece in the egg and milk mixture, then let the kids help by shaking the pieces in the cornflake crumb bag. Place each coated nugget on a cookie sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake for 15 minutes or until done. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce. Makes 6 servings.

Buy some of those heat and serve meatballs and serve with a honey bbq sauce or ranch. Let them have fancy toothpicks... like mini swords? and let them have fun and eat.

I hope this helps you out.

Nicky

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-20-2003 - 5:24pm
Oh MY!!!(lol)

Thank goodness I just have a dog!(lol)

He's pretty picky too but I just REFUSE to do the Picnic on the Bed thing to get him to eat better!(lol)

Seriously, it must be very frustrating - - even just worrying about the health aspects of this.....My one suggestion for kids that are finicky eaters would be to make sure they get a multi-vitamin to ensure they get some needed nutrients. Thats just my opion. Good luck to all Moms and Dads with picky eaters.

~~tracy

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-20-2003 - 4:01pm
OK...I got this off of the Parents Place website and some of them are not "great ideas" in my opinion but some of them aren't bad! I'll keep looking. Good Luck.

Fun food ideas for picky eaters

Thanks for providing information on what child-sized portions really are! If you imagine eating a hamburger the size of your dinner plate, it puts things in better perspective. We had a picky eater in our house; very, very picky. We invented "Un-Meals," and came up with the following ideas to distract our child from the fact that she was in fact, eating!

Animal Night - No kidding. No cutlery. Parents have to guess what animal the child is portraying by how it eats. The messier, the better.

Itsy-Bitsy Night - All food on the serving plates is cut into minuscule pieces. You can only have, and eat ONE of, each Itsy-Bitsy at a time -- one pea, one carrot coin, one piece of meat, or one French fry. Then you start again. Fun to try and make Mom and Dad frantic, and hustle to keep up with you. Parents of course, ham it up.

Slurping Day - Only on THIS day, and no other, may you your soup. Pick your weapons of choice, bowl, spoon, whatever. Recognition handed out for Loudest, Longest, Fastest, etc. Mom and Dad make a big deal out of trying to win Most Dignified Sound.

Kids Night Off - Mom and Dad have to feed the kids like babies. (Mine are five and six years old.) Great fun bossing parents around and demanding more/less ketchup.

Color Night - The food has to be all the same color. Graham Kerr would faint -- kids love it. (For example, white foods can include fish, potatoes, white corn, bread ...) If you give the kids the day to think about the color, you'll be amazed at what foods they come up with!

Picnic On the Bed - Self explanatory. If you need to, put the shower curtain down under whatever tablecloth you use.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting 

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-20-2003 - 3:59pm
Boy, do i ever feel sorry for you! I was lucky that both my daughters were good at trying and liking things. I always told them to just try it and if they really and truly didn't like it, they didn't have to eat it. But i think i just got lucky!

Try this... here's a website where you can search for foods with or without ingredients that your children don't like.

http://family.go.com/recipes/kids/tool/pickyeater_tlp/

Hopefully that will help some... i'll be on the look out and try to think of things. Do they have anything they DO like? I might be able to come up with something... hopefully some of the other ladies here on the board with little children can help too.

Good Luck!

*** Daisy ***

BabyFoot.jpg picture by cl-daisy526