Question of the Day (8/25)

iVillage Member
Question of the Day (8/25)
Mon, 08-25-2003 - 7:11am
I had read this before, but saw it again this weekend: Most people end up living within 10 miles of the house they grew up in. Is this true for you?

LOL for me. I am about 3 minutes from my parents. They are still in the house I grew up in. I love this neighborhood and had to come "home" with my kids. Not that I ever moved that far away. My first "real" job was with a police agency in a neighboring city. It was about a 40 minute drive to my parents house. I lived there for about 2 years, before moving back to my hometown.

Tracy

TracyPalmPoster.jpg picture by cl-daisy526
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-25-2003 - 2:00pm
Yep... it's true for me! I've only lived in 2 houses after I got married and they are within 5 miles of the three houses I grew up in.. lol. I love where i live now...our house is the last one on a dead-end street with lots of wooded area at the end of the street. It's like living in the country... and safe enough for my kids to play out there because if someone came down there, it was either for me, our neighbors across the street or someone turning around. We have camp-fires out there at night too.

*** Daisy ***

PS: MY only sibling moved to Houston, TX ... How dare her! lol

BabyFoot.jpg picture by cl-daisy526

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-25-2003 - 2:28pm
Unfortunately this doesn't hold true for me! I sure wish it did though. I grew up in Northern Michigan, just a little south of the U.P. and I love it up there. My gramma still lives up there and we make it a point to go visit her alot! We live about 4 hours from there now in the suburban Detroit.

Hugs,

Emily

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting 

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-25-2003 - 2:32pm
>>>>They are still in the house I grew up in.

Isn't that cool? My folks too - - but when I was a kid, I always wanted us to move to a new house since some of my friends "got to get a new house"!(lol)

I can not imagine my old house with anybody else living in it.

I bet being 3 minutes away is a BIG help with the kids....that's nice they are near their Grand folks.

I was very close (within 5 minutes) to my parents till I was 35. . . then my hub got transferred to Austin Texas and that was really a shock to the system. Thank goodness for those 10-10 numbers cause I was on the phone EVERY day!(lol) We now live in Arkansas, so we are slowly getting closer to home...home being St.Louis, Mo.

~~tracy

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-25-2003 - 2:40pm
>>>>I grew up in Northern Michigan

I think that is wonderful that you are close enough to visit your gramma - must be special for her to get to see Sophie and you.

Wow - - Emily how can you stand the cold winters tho??(lol) I've never been to Michigan - maybe someday, but Not in the WInter!! That is one thing I like about living in Arkansas is the winters are relatively mild and short - - we might get a couple inches of snow, but it's gone pronto. I hated Texas cause there really was NO winter - - I need some, just not too cold or too long.

Did you ever live in a warmer place?

~~tracy

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-25-2003 - 2:42pm
That is TOO COol that you have campfires at Home!!!

Sounds like a really neat place to raise a family!

~~tracy

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-25-2003 - 2:43pm
I've always lived in Michigan and I can't imagine living anywhere else. The winters do get a little tedious but I think when you've been through as many as I have you just get kinda used to it. I'm actually looking forward to it this year. Sophie and I will be able to make a snowman and snow angels. It's kinda fun, then you come in the house and have some yummy hot cocoa. :) You should come visit some time, it is gorgeous here in summer. I think when most people think of Michigan they think of Detroit but there really are some gorgeous areas.

Hugs,

Em

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting 

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-25-2003 - 5:12pm
Not true for me, but then I'm not most people, LOL!

We've managed to stay in this house 23 years, so that our kids would have the stability that I never had (Navy brat). My kids will probably move out of State, one might even move to Europe. My DH and I want to move to the Caribbean to retire.

The advantage the kids have is in their long-term friendships. I couldn't care less about the kids I graduated high school with. So, I'm really happy to see my own brood still great friends with their pals since kindergarten.

Cheers,

Alysia :-)

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-25-2003 - 10:24pm
I just read an aol story on the latest Farmer's Almanac predictions. Looks like you are in for a doozie this winter, if you believe their predictions that is. I'm in the Southeast, where they say it's going to be milder than usual. Thank goodness (not that I'm sure I buy the predictions LOL). I do hate cold though, so nothing like a little positive thinking.

Tracy

TracyPalmPoster.jpg picture by cl-daisy526