QOTD (8/27)

iVillage Member
QOTD (8/27)
Wed, 08-27-2003 - 7:23am
Tell us about your family.

I have a very small family. My mother is an only child, of an only child, of an only child. My father has a sister. She is unmarried, no kids. (No cousins at all.) I have one living grandparent, but she has Alzheimer's very bad and doesn't know who she is much less anyone else. Both of my grandfathers died before I was born. The other living grandmother died when I was 6. I also have a sister. She is not married and has no children.

Tracy

TracyPalmPoster.jpg picture by cl-daisy526
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-27-2003 - 9:25am
Well, my mother had 9 brothers and sisters so i've got tons of cousins on her side. My father had 1 sister who had 3 children. As a child I was blessed with both sets of grandparents (well one set weren't all that great) and I also had 2 sets of great-grandparents. But, they're all gone now...

I have one sister who moved to Houston, TX about 7 years ago. She is my only sibling and i miss her a lot... but it does give me a great place to visit. It's funny.. my parents had 2 daughters, I have 2 daughters and my sister has 2 daughters... and our closest cousin had 2 daughters. We're a girl family... i just hope that someday my girls have a boy so me and my husband can spoil him rotten! But... with our luck, they'll each have 2 daughters too.. lol.

*** daisy ***

BabyFoot.jpg picture by cl-daisy526

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-27-2003 - 11:06am
My immediate family is small, but I have a large extended family on both sides. I'm a empty nester with three grown and flown children - no grans as yet. My youngest daughter is getting married next August. My mother, age 90 and her sister, age 86, live in a nice condo in a 55 plus community about a mile from my apartment. They are still fairly active but with a few health problems that slow them down a bit - my mother is nearly blind, but still sharp and a terrific person. I have two younger brothers and we all visit mom and aunt often and help them get around since neither of them can drive any longer. My mother has/had two sisters and four brothers and among them I have 14 cousins, nearly all married with children. My late father had three brothers and four sisters and they all have large families, so I have 27 cousins on that side. My cousins on my father's side are all married and have children, so reunions are huge! All of my mother's family still lives within a five mile radius of where they grew up, so I see those cousins and their children & grandchildren often. My paternal cousins are scattered all over the country so I only see them at family gatherings, weddings and funerals.

By the way, all four of my grandparents came from the same little town in Italy..

I'm looking forward to reading about everyone's family!

Elaine

Elaine

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-27-2003 - 1:04pm
I have a very small family. My husband and I live alone with 4 dogs, l yellow lab and 3 pomeranians. We have three children all out on their own, 1 son who works for southwest airlines out of Phoenix, and 2 daughters out in the work field as well. I lost my Dad 30 years ago, lost my Mother 7 years ago and lost my 1 and only sister 2 years ago, no brothers. My husband has lost his Mom and Dad also.

We live in a small town in the White Mountains of Arizona called Pinetop. My husband retired very early and I work in a bookstore which is good since I do love books. Besides books, my hobbies are scrapbooking and counted cross stitch. My husband loves to fish and hunt, and since we live in a resort town with lots of lakes, he goes a lot.

I hope you have enjoyed reading about my little family as I have enjoyed reading about yours. Hugs, Barb
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-27-2003 - 10:14pm
I have spent my life being envious of families like yours. I gotta wonder though, can you keep all the names straight LOL?

Tracy

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-27-2003 - 10:17pm
I am a scrapbooker too. I used to be a cross-stitcher (counted) until two kids and scrapbooking overtook all my spare time.

I love reading other family stories too. Hope we get some more.

Tracy

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-28-2003 - 10:17am
Hm. My family is back in Missouri...I grew up with a younger sister (3 years) and an older brother (7 years older) at home with my Mom and Dad. I've also an older brother and had an older sister who has since died from living with Juvenile Diabetes at the age of 50. My younger sister also has diabetes. This and my Dad having ulcers greatly affected the way we ate at our house. The meals were very bland and seldom any kind of "treats". There were no candies or regular sodas. There was nothing "spicey". THis is probably why I'm such a lousy cook!(lol) My sister is my hero - - she has had by-pass surgery, numerous other health problems, she was on dialysis for months till she received a kidney transplant - - and she is the most outgoing, cheerful and funny person I know. But SHE is a great cook...she cooks all the goodies that she Shouldn't have to give to Other people!(lol) Neither of us have kids, but I have 5 step-sons (grown now) who are too cool!!

~~tracy

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-28-2003 - 9:09pm
I'm not buying for one second that you are a lousy cook LOL. Anyone that homemakes muffins is an okay cook in my book.

Tracy