QOTD FRIDAY!! (8-29)

iVillage Member
QOTD FRIDAY!! (8-29)
Fri, 08-29-2003 - 12:28pm
What thing have you wanted to do this summer but haven't had the chance yet?

BabyFoot.jpg picture by cl-daisy526

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-29-2003 - 12:44pm
Go somewhere! Dh couldn't get any time off so we didn't get out annual vacation to visit his family in New York state. Nor did we take anytime as a family and do anything together. Next year we are though if I have to drag him to where ever I find to go. I would have liked to just go up to Lake Michigan or Erie and spend a long weekend. I am going to try to make that a priority next year.

jan

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-29-2003 - 1:46pm
I agree, Jan.... we didn't get to take a vacation this year either. My daughter graduated high school and i took a week off work to prepare the house for her graduation party and used up all our savings too! LOL Oh well... you only graduate high school once!

*** Daisy ***

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-29-2003 - 4:52pm
Work in the yard, clean up type stuff, and do more gardening.

We had record rainfall through the middle of May...then immediately went into the hot summer...temps in the high 80's to 100 since then almost every single day. And I guess getting up and out prior to 9 am isn't going to happen, LOL!

Looking forward to cooling temps!

Teri in Northern Calif.

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-29-2003 - 8:46pm
Definatley take the kids swimming more often. I was going to go today after I got off work, but we got rocked by a huge thunderstorm. They are going away with the in-laws for the weekend, so that will be it for the season. There's always the Y's indoor pool I guess.

Tracy

TracyPalmPoster.jpg picture by cl-daisy526
iVillage Member
Sat, 08-30-2003 - 3:32pm
Well, since You asked - - we had a new deck built this year....we tore down our old deck during the month of May on the weekends....Then "they" came to build the new deck...Then, the just got started and it rained for about 2 weeks....Then,(lol), They ran into problems and could only work mornings....Then, about 3 weeks later, they finally got it finished....THEN...we were 'advised' to have it sealed and stained...THEN...THE WHOLE THING STARTED BUBBLING!!!! and the wood was curling and splitting and sap was Ooooooooooooozing out all Over the place....Okay, I've forgotten the question now!(lol) Oh yeah, the one thing I wanted to do this summer but haven't had the chance to yet? Relax on my deck!! - - - honestly, we are trying to get them to come Back out here and re-do it....the person who supplied the wood told us that they (the very well known Deck building company) used the cheapest grade decking and installed it upside down!! He says they should come back and re-do it cause we got ripped off. So, I just hope it gets fixed in time for me to relax on my deck this FALL!! Can't wait to sit out and drink cider and eat donuts!(wink-wink)

~~tracy

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-30-2003 - 4:43pm
Winking back at you! LOL You nut... I feel for you about your deck. We had a wooden deck at our other house that my husband helped a man build. We kept getting splinters in our feet and it was slippery in the winter... so when we wanted to do something here at our new house (we've lived her for 15 years and just a couple years ago could afford to do somthing out there) we put in concrete. A huge slab or concrete and then we build a roof over it. It's not enclosed but i'm thinking of having it screened in because of the bugs at night. The other night i thought i was going to go nuts with the junebugs flying into things and buzzing all over the place!

Yes.. you should have them re-do it... it sounds like they wanted to go cheap. Sad sad sad... you just can't hire good help these days, can you!? LOL

I sure hope they get it fixed so you can enjoy your cider & donuts... it's a real treat!

*** Daisy ***

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-30-2003 - 8:38pm
Shucks, you got what I wanted...We really wanted to have a concrete patio and should have gone that route, but, changed our minds when we got to looking at screened rooms....we had two screen-rooms built with the deck between. Boy, if you can get your patio area screened in, you ought to....we LOVE ours...those June bugs and 'skeeters drove me crazy.

Oh, wanted to tell you and Em that the Midwest Living Magazine has an article called Chasing Waterfalls - - exploring the natural treasures of Michigans Upper Peninsula. It shows photos of Bond Falls, Bonanza Falls, Cascade Falls and Manido Falls in Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park. Those are ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!! Have you ever been to any of those areas? Arkansas has lots of really pretty places too....and, na,na, na na na...it's WARMER!!!(lol)

Well, I'm keeping my fingers crossed we can get those folks back out here. It's the perfect place to sit and sip and dip. (cider and donuts you know..lol)

~~tracy

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-01-2003 - 8:57am
When we get a few of our bills paid off, I plan to start saving for our 25th anniversary trip. But after that... I do want to save for the screening in of our patio. I know I will enjoy it more. My husband goes out there all the time but I only like it when there's no bugs... like early morning.. In fact, I think I'll make me a pot of coffee and go out there after I finish here!

Oh the U.P. (upper peninsula) of Michigan is glorious! We've been wanting to get to Copper Harbor for a long time but just haven't. I guess living in Michigan we kind of take these things for granted and want to go "out of state" on vacations & such. But we do go to the east side of the state (Tawas area) at least once a year. The lakes are so beautiful!

We have been to Tahquamenon Falls near Paradise, Michigan several times and they are just beautiful too.

Thank you for cluing us in on other beautiful spots here in the Great Lake State! Us Michiganders appreciate it! I have learned that every state has beauty. I want to retire someday so that I can go to all the states and see it! LOL Have a great week-end!

*** Daisy ***