exchanging applesauce for oil

iVillage Member
exchanging applesauce for oil
Sun, 08-31-2003 - 3:30pm
Hi. Thanks for taking the time to read this. I hope you can tell me what the ratio is for the substitution. Can all oil be eliminated or just part? If you see this posted somewhere else its because I am VERY new here and I'm not quite sure of the procedures. Guess everyone has a first time. Thanks again for your help.
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-31-2003 - 5:40pm
Hi Jean and Welcome!

Jean, I'm not that experienced with substitutions and there May BE a ratio, but I have been exchanging 1 to 1.....for example, I do a banana bread that calls for 1/2 c shortnening and instead I do 1/2 c applesauce. I've also substituted 1/3 cup OIL for the shortening - and that works very well too. You might even try just reducing the amount of oil....

I would suggest you try exchanging equal parts but perhaps do a 1/2 recipe to see how you like it. Cause really, as long as it's okay to you - - that's what matters.

Be sure to check back tho as it is QUITE possible that one of the other gals here knows something I don't....I'm NOT the best cook around!(lolol)

Nice to see you Jean.

~~tracy

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-01-2003 - 9:05am
Hi Jean.... welcome to the board! Here's a website that I found for you. I agree with Tracy about the equal parts. But i'm posting this for you. It basically says it's trial & error... but gives you some amounts to start trying. I am not a baker... so that's why I go to outside sources.. lol.

http://www.foodfit.com/Cooking/AskChef.asp?aeid=322&prevsearch=

Take care and have a great week-end. Please come back so we can get to know you better!

*** Daisy ***

BabyFoot.jpg picture by cl-daisy526

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-02-2003 - 9:00pm
Thank You for your reply to my question. I posted the web site in my recipe file and I am looking forward to checking it out. I am brand new to the computer world and I think this web site is going to be lots of fun. Thanks again.
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-02-2003 - 9:12pm
Hi Stracy and thanks for the welcome. I shall take your advice and start slowly. I guess I just have to practice and play around with my recipes. I've jotted everyones names down that responded to my question, so if I notice you on the site I'll say Hi. Thanks again for responding.