QOTD- Tuesday

iVillage Member
QOTD- Tuesday
Tue, 09-02-2003 - 9:47am
This is a non-food related question, inspired by a conversation I had this weekend. It's more of a 'I want to know others opinions' kind of thing.

My best friend was in for the weekend and stayed with me. I have hardwood floors, as does she. She was appauled that I walk on my floors without wearing socks. She says that the natural oils in your skin get into the wood and attract dust. No one in her house is allowed to go barefoot, or wear shoes for that matter. Everyone must take their shoes off at the door- can't have dirt tracked in, you know. I was under the impression that this is what welcome mats were made for, but maybe I'm wrong. After her guests take their shoes off at the door, they must wear socks at all times. So what do yall think? Is she over the top obsessive about cleanliness (which is what I am thinking) or am I way too lacks? Probably a dumb question, but I'm intrigued.

Tracy

TracyPalmPoster.jpg picture by cl-daisy526
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-02-2003 - 10:03am
Hi Tracy - - glad to see ya back!

About your question, there was a time when I Might have gone along with your friend. However, that was when I was more concerned about stuff than people. I moved into a beautiful home a few years ago and it had practically white carpet. Nobody could walk on the carpets with shoes. I was nuts about it, and I'm sure made any company feel uncomfortable. About 3 weeks into living there, my hub and I brought home a sweetheart of a pup from the animal shelter. Well, within 10 minutes of being in the house, this poor puppy puked, and had spurting poop (lol) ALL OVER MY WHITE CARPET - - I freaked. My brother in law said 'it's now broken in'....and I slowly learned that having a good time and being more relaxed may make the carpet 'not Pristine white' but we enjoyed our life there in that house More AFTER we quit worrying about our carpet Not being perfect. Guess what I'm saying is - if you want perfect floors, best to have that in an area like the bedroom or office where only you are going to be - - the areas where folks gather should be an area where Friends and Family (and animals in my case) can all be comfortable. That's my opinion. Not a dumb question at all. I say NO you are not a poor housekeeper and that people are more important to you which in my book is a good thing.

~~tracy

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-02-2003 - 2:36pm
I would say it depends on the type of wood floor your friend has. If its a true solid hardwood floor I just might go with the socks, but if her flooring is a laminate, or plastic woodflooring these have a harder surface and are much easier to care for.

Patty

http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a306/yttap/siggys/
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-03-2003 - 12:04am
Socks only on hard wood floors? I would probably break my neck! Talk about slippery...

You are NOT a bad housekeeper... You must be like me and go barefoot all the time. I can sure tell it was summertime here in Michigan... my feet are horrible! LOL During the winter, i wear slippers and that helps.

I also have white carpet... and believe me... we live on it! Stanley Steemer is my best friend! LOL

*** Daisy ***

BabyFoot.jpg picture by cl-daisy526

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-03-2003 - 7:13am
That's what I'm talking about :-) I loathe shoes and am also barefoot as much as I can be...must be the KY in me coming out. Really, I go barefoot outside until about November, then take the shoes back off in March. Any mild days in there and they are coming off. I'm barefoot inside year round. Socks would make me break my neck.

Tracy

TracyPalmPoster.jpg picture by cl-daisy526