Canning anyone?

iVillage Member
Canning anyone?
Thu, 09-04-2003 - 4:25pm
Hi,

Just had to take a break.....for the past 3 days I've been cleaning elderberries. To be precise 39 cups of cleaned elderberries. If you have never cleaned elderberries don't start now! LOL! It takes forever and your hands (by the nails) will be purple for about 2 weeks.

Anyway, I made a gallon of liqueur, now I'm making jelly and tomorrow syrup. I'm sick of elderberries!

Next, I need to start on the crabapples. We had a bumper crop this year and I feel guilty letting it go to waste.

Please, someone tell me you are canning, perserving, freezing something. Let me know I'm not alone in my purple-fingered misery.

Cheers,

Kim

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-04-2003 - 4:32pm
Canning is one thing I've never tackled before but I'm thinking about it this year. I always miss good tomatoes in winter so I was thinking of canning some just to satisfy those cravings come cold cold February. Is it pretty easy to get started doing or is there alot involved? Chasing a one year old all day doesn't leave for much time for much of anything else.

Hugs,

Em

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting 

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-04-2003 - 5:01pm
I WISH I could can! My husband's aunt cans every year and i always wish so much that I could do it too. But with me working all the time and having no energy, I just can't right now. Maybe next year.... lol.

I admire you for putting all that stuff up though.... i have canned before but by the time i get home from work, i'm ready for bed even before i cook supper, shower, laundry & other stuff... lol.

Let us know your progress though, i love hearing about it and maybe next year i'll join you!

*** Daisy ***

BabyFoot.jpg picture by cl-daisy526

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-04-2003 - 5:29pm
WOW ! ! !

That must be so cool to eat stuff that you have grown and canned yourself!

Kim, alas, I'm just learning to COOK, much less CAN!(Lol) It must be very a gratifying experience tho.

I bet those jars of jelly make really nice gifts too.

So I'm not a purple finger preserver right now. If my fingers get stained, it's Orange color from eating Cheetos!(lol)

~~tracy

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-04-2003 - 8:55pm
I used to can tons of green beans. Two kids later; no time to pick, no time to can. I loved it though. I actually don't like green beans, but my family sure does and it was worth it to me. I have high hopes of getting back into it one day. I have SO many glass jars, it'd be a shame for them to sit in the basement until the end of time.

Tracy

TracyPalmPoster.jpg picture by cl-daisy526
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-05-2003 - 12:57am
Emily,

I encourage you to try to preserve food, just not tomatoes with a one year old around. It's too time consuming with a baby to look after and all of the boiling water scares the day lights out of me!

It's an all day affair with tomatoes, first you scald them, peel them, and cut them up. then wash and sterilize the jars and lids (massive amounts of boiling water). Fill the steaming hot jars with the tomatoes and juice, leave about an inch of empty space at the top of the jar. Place the lids on the jars and lower them into a boiling bath of water. They need to sit in the boiling water at 10 lbs of pressure for 10 minutes (or whatever the current canning websites recommend, it can change from year to year). Remove jars and let cool, make sure all jars have sealed.

Emily, home canned tomatoes taste almost exactly like store canned tomatoes, no big difference. An easier way to preserve tomatoes is to freeze them. They will only be good to use in cooking, but it's less expensive, less time consuming and less dangerous with your little one around! Buy frezer containers, wash (peel if you want) the tomatoes, cut them up, leave at least an inch for expansion and pop in the freezer. Done! Finished!

My kids are 15 and 14, when they were 1 and 2 I was lucky if I was able to take a shower. No canning, no reading, no cross stitch, no sewing, no knitting etc...

If you want to try to preserve something, in my opinion jam is the easiest thing to make. I'd be happy to share recipes with you and "talk" you through it. The best thing about jam, if it doesn't turn out then you just tell everyone you made gourmet ice cream sauce or pancake syrup!

Tell us more about that baby!

Cheers,

Kim

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-05-2003 - 1:18am
Daisy,

With your schedule I wouldn't have time to cook let alone can stuff. When I was working and chauffering kids to and fro daily we ate out a lot. Laundry....hope we could make it til Saturdays with clean clothes.

The best thing you could do right now is get your husband's aunt's recipes and save them for when you have time. Some of the old recipes are the best!

Cheers,

Kim

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-05-2003 - 1:25am
Tracy,

I envy your orange stained Cheetos' fingers!

As I told Emily, jam is the easiest thing to make. I'd be happy to share recipes with you and "talk" you through it.

And yes they make wonderful gifts....especially when put in a basket with other homemade goodies, like candy and biscotti. Great for all of the people you don't know what to give and for the unexpected gifts we receive. I always make 5 extra baskets in case I receive a gift from someone unexpectedly. The best part...you can give them to a man or a woman.

Cheers,

Kim

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-05-2003 - 1:32am
Tracy,

I used to can green beans also......bk....before kids. Considering they are now 14 and 15 those jars of beans I have still lurking in the bowels of my basement storage area are certainly jars of death!

I am a firm believer in "you can never have too many jars, you never know when you'll need them". My husband disagrees! LOL

Cheers,

Kim

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-05-2003 - 1:53am
Hello Everyone

Talking about canning . . . I have a bumper crop of tomatoes this year. . . they are coming out of my ears! I have made Red Tomato Jelly. . . compliments of Daisy. . . and last night I made salsa after I put my little one to bed, I only have one right now. . . eight months old. I really want to do more, but just starting out jars are a little pricey living on a budget. . . I'm trying to convince DH that we will save the money we spend on jars when we don't have to buy the food! Anyway something that is delicious that my girlfriend made is Zucchini Lemon Butter, it tastes exactly like lemon pie filling. . . when you want a pie just open the jar and pour it in a ready made crust. I'm really loving this right now, my garden was my first and I am able to take advantage of my maternity leave (1 year in Canada) and doing all that I can to 'fill time'!!

Enjoying Canning

Jaime

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-05-2003 - 7:12am
I'd love to try a jam recipe. It's one of the few things I've never attempted. I LOVE homemade strawberry jam that others have given me. Any recipes you'd like to give up would be great.

Tracy

TracyPalmPoster.jpg picture by cl-daisy526

Pages