Survival Tools for dealig with bipolar

iVillage Member
Survival Tools for dealig with bipolar
Fri, 01-22-2010 - 4:47pm

We all have had times where we

~ Tina ~

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-23-2010 - 1:55pm

When life has me stressed and I feel depressed, which means I feel like a failure, I use a tool my old therapist helped me with, called a self-esteem file. I have been using this lately because us having to live with people we do not like, and being in this situation to begin with can make you feel like a real failure and loser. But I have a file that I have listed 10 of my strengths and 10 positive qualities about myself. If I think if new things or someone compliments me on something, I add it to the file. I write it down on a piece of paper and I put it in a manilla envelope. I have cut out things and made a collage on the folder. This helps me see in writing, the facts, of all my qualities that I forget when I am down on myself.

Think about what people have told you in the past about things you do well, or personality traits they admire about you. What things at your job or past jobs are you or have you been good at. What hobbies do you enjoy? What physical attributes do you like or has someone complimented you on? I do not care if you are overweight!!!! I am positive someone or yourself thinks you have nice eyes, hair, smile, teeth, legs, butt, arms, boobs ;), or something. Do people compliment you on your cloths, or jewelery?

Set backs are normal, but we can pick ourselves back up with support and with the mental health tools we learn and use.

What tools help you??, or what issues are you struggling with that you would like some help in finding tools to help you get through a particular issue?

~ Tina ~