Looking for a recipe... Can't find it

iVillage Member
Looking for a recipe... Can't find it
Sun, 09-07-2003 - 7:54am
I am looking for a recipe that I use to have years ago. It was a base for chocolate cake, brownies, and chocolate cookies. The recipe required the mixing of flour, sugar and coco plus a few other dry ingredients. Then depending on the wet ingreditents add would depend if you had a chocolate cake mix or chocolate cookie mix. It was a great gift giver for those of my friends who didn't like to cook. I had gotten it from a cooking magazine, but I don't remember which one. I have tried various recipe finders, but come up with nothing. Does anyone have this recipe. I would be truly greatful. :)
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-08-2003 - 10:41am
Hi there and welcome to the board. Is this a jar recipe? I am going to be looking for you but i thought it sounded like a jar recipe. I'll post back and let you know if I find something for you.

*** Daisy ***

BabyFoot.jpg picture by cl-daisy526

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-10-2003 - 7:34am
Not exactly sure what a "jar" recipe is. But I remember that it could be stored for months in a tightly seal container. And depending on what you were making determined how much of the dry mix plus what wet ingredients you added to it. I remember that the magizine was one that had full meals listed with the majority of recipes to make the entire meal. Pictures in it were full color, and I remember alot of it was super fancy stuff, I just can't remember the name of the zine that it came from.

Thanks alot for helping me.... :)
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-10-2003 - 7:45am
Yes... t hat sounds like a jar recipe. A "jar" recipe is when you mix up a big batch of dry ingredients and put that in a jar with a ribbon and attach a recipe to it for the recipient to add the wet ingredients and whip up a batch of whatever the recipe was.

Here's an example:

Cookie in a Jar

1/2 cup white chocolate chips

1/2 cup crispy rice cereal

1 & 1/2 cups flour

3/4 tsp. baking soda

1/4 tsp. baking powder

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips

1/2 cup rolled oats

1/2 cup white sugar

In a quart jar, layer the ingredients in the order listed. Mix flour with soda and baking powder. Pack down firmly after each addition.

Attach recipe below, to jar:

Cookies in a Jar

Cream 2 Tbsp of water, 1/2 cup of margarine and 1 egg together until light. Add entire contents of the jar and stir until well blended. Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto an greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350* for 10-12 min.

I will come back later on to post what i find... i've got to go finish getting ready for work, i'm late! LOL (I got all into checking out recipes!)

*** Daisy ***

BabyFoot.jpg picture by cl-daisy526

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-14-2003 - 8:22am
Thanks for checking... Hopefully you it find. It was a great gift giver for friends who liked "from scracth" but didn't want to spend alot of time, not to mention so easy to do. You are an absolute doll.... Thanks again. :)