Sweet Milk

iVillage Member
Sweet Milk
Mon, 09-08-2003 - 10:56pm
In an old Sugar Cookie recipe, it calls for "sweet milk." I'm wondering what exactly is it? It doesn't say Sweetened Condensed Milk. Is there a combination milk and sugar recipe that makes sweet milk? Anyone know? Thanks for any help. ~Sue
iVillage Member
In reply to: ladysuew
Wed, 09-10-2003 - 1:20pm
OH Patty.... you are right! I do remember reading this once. Thank you for reminding us!

*** Daisy ***

BabyFoot.jpg picture by cl-daisy526

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-10-2003 - 12:07pm
I think what your recipe means is "Fresh Milk". If it's on old recipe than sweet milk was sometimes referred to fresh whole milk, not a sour milk or buttermilk that they would use, not a low fat milk like 1% or skim either. It doesn’t call for sweetened milk so I would just use regular milk.

Patty

http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a306/yttap/siggys/
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-09-2003 - 2:14pm
Hi Daisy,

Thanks so much for the prompt reply. I have saved the recipe for Sweet Milk that you sent, I appreciate the information. It does however require more time and effort than I'm willing to make! :)

My best,

Sue
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-09-2003 - 7:17am
Hi there! Welcome to the board. Here's a recipe for Sweet Milk but it sounds kinda complicated... not hard though. I hope this helps you some.

Homemade Sweet Milk

Source: saveur.com

Makes about 1 1/4 cups

5 cups milk

1 1/2 cups granulated sugar

1 vanilla bean, split

1 teaspoon baking soda

Put milk in a large, deep, heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil and allow skin to form on top of milk. Do not stir. Skin will thicken and puff up; then reduce heat to medium and remove skin. Increase heat to medium-high and repeat process three more times. The skin will become thinner with each boil. Resist the urge to stir milk.

Add sugar and vanilla bean after fourth and final boil, then stir until sugar has melted, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and stir in baking soda. Simmer milk, stirring often, yet taking care not to disturb film of cooked milk forming on the inside of the saucepan. Simmer, skimming foam while milk cooks, until reduced by half, about 1 hour. Reduce heat to low and simmer, skimming occasionally, until milk is very thick and golden, about 3 1/2 hours more. Mixture will brown as it cooks. Strain cooked milk through a sieve into a bowl, then cover and refrigerate. Mixture will thicken as it cools.

Serve with fruit, such as strawberries or bananas, or with toast, if you like.

I hope this helps you... please come back and let us know how it works out, we'd love to get to know you better!

*** Daisy ***

PS: It sounds to me like it's a homemade version of Sweetened Condensed Milk.

BabyFoot.jpg picture by cl-daisy526