Doughboys?

iVillage Member
Doughboys?
Tue, 09-09-2003 - 5:50pm
Does anyone remember the school lunch doughboys?

They were flat dough that had ground beef and melted cheese inside. I was wondering if anyone may have a recipe.

I know they sound simple but I'm really not sure about the dough and the timing on the meat.

Thanks!

Jessica

iVillage Member
In reply to: good738
Wed, 09-10-2003 - 7:34am
Hi there..... welcome to Quick & Easy! I have to say that I have never heard of a doughboy sandwich but when i did a search, all I could come up with is doughboys that are sweet (cinnamon & sugar, etc.) that you cook over a fire. But... there was a dough recipe there so maybe you could just use your beef filling in this dough recipe. Here's what I found:

Doughboys

2 C Bisquickr Baking Mix

Water

Butter Or Margarine

Jam

Honey

Add enough water to the mix to form a stiff dough. Do not add more water than this or the doughboy will fall of the stick. Mix and pat the dough around the ends of 4 sticks. Make each doughboy about 4 in. long by 1/2 in. thick. Hold the doughboy over the fire to toast them slowly for about 10 min. or until the inside is done. Occasionally pat the dough to keep it evenly distributed. If it gets lopsided, it will tend to crack and fall.

Pull the doughboys off the sticks gently and fill their cavities with butter, jam, or honey; add other ingredients to taste.

Variations:

Form dough into long sticks about 1/2" thick. Wrap in a coil around a green stick and cook over a campfire.

Form dough-balls by making a well in the Bisquick and pouring about 2 tablespoons of water into it. Stir around with a stick until dough-ball forms on the stick. Bake over the campfire.

I was thinking maybe that you were thinking of Po' Boys too.... what you described kinda sounded like that. I'll post a Po' Boy recipe down below in the RECIPE COLLECTION section so go there and see if that is similar to what you are thinking of.

Hope to see you often here so we can get to know you better!

*** Daisy ***

BabyFoot.jpg picture by cl-daisy526