A Potato question..........

iVillage Member
A Potato question..........
Wed, 09-10-2003 - 3:29pm
I have always had a problem with potatoes. (g)

In particular, if I was going to make Nicky's potato soup recipe (down in the recipe folder),. . . Do you use RED potatoes?? The only potatoes I ever buy are baking potatoes and never really did anything BUT bake potatoes. I have seen stuff before about one or the other being more starchy - - - but, just as a rule of thumb- - - are the red ones for everything BUT baking?? This is why I only use instant potatoes!(lol)

Thank you for any guidance here!

~~tracy

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-10-2003 - 4:24pm
I tend to buy different potato varieties and have really never thought about the 'why' behind it. If there is a rule of thumb, such as 'these are starchier than those', I don't know it. I love the little red potatoes for my "easy" potato dishes. If I need a quick side dish, I can throw them in a big pot with some green beans, boullion, and water, boil for a while and they are wonderful. I also use red ones a lot for scalloped potatoes. I have used yellow (golden) potatoes lots too. I half them and boil (refer back to the bean recipe, such that it is). They are great boiled, then sort of fork-smashed and buttered. I use baking potatoes for just that, baking. I have roasted the red ones and baking ones. They both seem to do well that way.

I know this is less than professional sounding, but it seems to work for me. Hope it helps.

Tracy

TracyPalmPoster.jpg picture by cl-daisy526
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-10-2003 - 5:00pm
Thank you Tracy!!!!

That helps a lot!

'preciate it!!

~~tracy

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-10-2003 - 5:01pm
I agree with Tracy, Tracy... lol. I basically only use Idaho potatoes.... i like the way they break down when i boil them for mashed or potato salad and they color up good when I fry them. I do use Red potatoes too... but mostly for roasting.

Here's the "official" info I found for you....

Starchy potatoes (Idaho & Russet)are low in moisture and sugar but have high starch content. Starchy potatoes bake and mash very well and when fried make golden chips or roast potatoes. They tend to collapse when boiled because of their low sugar content.

Waxy (red skin) potatoes have high moisture content but are low in starch. Waxy potatoes hold their shape very well when boiled, making them ideal for salads or casseroles. However, their low starch content means that they are not suitable for mashing or making chips.

Hope that helps...

*** Daisy ***

PS: If I were to make Nicky's potato soup, i'd use starchy (Idaho or Russet) because i like the potatoes to break down... not a big hunky potato person.

BabyFoot.jpg picture by cl-daisy526

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-10-2003 - 5:04pm
THANK YOU TOO!!!!!!!! Yes, that helps!

NOw, I'm gonna be doin LOTS of potato stuff!!!

I may not know what to do with them, but I sure do LOVE them!! and now, I'm thinking I CAN cook them!(vbg)

Thanks guys!!

~~tracy

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-10-2003 - 6:04pm
I know you CAN! :)

It's yummy and I always use Idaho potatoes. Our local potatoes have more "bad spots" than the Idaho.

It's raining here and I'm going to make potato soup and maybe some fresh bread for dinner. Yum Can you hear my belly growl??? LOL