Okay, I give up....

iVillage Member
Okay, I give up....
Wed, 09-10-2003 - 4:46pm
A few weeks back someone ask for a salsa recipe to can. I looked and looked for mine but i cannot find it anywhere. Now my friend has told me that her dad's garden is going wacky with tomatoes & peppers and wants to know if I want to make some salsa with her. I want to but i can't find the recipe... Kim.. i know you do some preserving.. do you have a recipe for salsa? Or anyone else??

*** Daisy ***

BabyFoot.jpg picture by cl-daisy526

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-10-2003 - 6:01pm
HELEN’S SALSA

6 oz. tomato paste

9 c. tomato chunks with skins

12 hot peppers (6 if large), chopped

3 onions, diced

3 garlic cloves, minced

3 green peppers, diced

1T salt

4 ½ T vinegar

3T cooking oil

1t basil dried or 1T fresh

1t parsley, dried or 1T fresh

1t cilantro, dried or 1 T fresh

Adjust salt and spices to taste.

Mix. Simmer 1 to 1 ½ hours until of proper consistency. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking. Can.

Or this one:

Mild Salsa

Recipe By :Ball Blue Book

5 pounds ripe tomatoes

3 cups chopped onion -- (6 small to medium ones)

1 cup banana peppers -- seeded & chopped (may use any other mild peppers that you find in season)--takes about 3 long, big ones

1 cup cider vinegar

3 1/2 teaspoons salt

Dip tomatoes in boiling water for 60 seconds until skin loosens. Remove all skins. Core & chop tomatoes. In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil. Stir often. Reduce heat & simmer for 45 minutes or until desired thickness (usually takes longer than 45 minutes). Immediately fill half-pint jars with salsa, leaving 1/2-inch head space. Wipe jars & threads clean with paper towel. Place hot lids on jars & screw bands on firmly. Process in boiling water carrier for 30 minutes.

Yield: "8 half pints"

NOTES : For hotter salsa, just use hotter peppers--one kind or a mixture.

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-11-2003 - 2:22pm
Daisy,

The salsa recipe I use is a bit hit or miss. I adjust it to taste. The ingredients are as follows, sorry I don't measure for this....

tomatoes peeled and chopped

onions

cilantro, finely chopped

peppers chopped....I use red, green and hot peppers

garlic...whole cloves

salt

(my son likes his hot so I add hot sauce to his)

I mix it all together, let sit over night. The next day I remove the garlic only if I'm using 5% vinegar, if I use 12% (Swedish strength vinegar) I leave the garlic in.

a few years ago there were warnings about canning with garlic, the school of thought was that it caused the food to become tainted. They may have changed this "rule", I'm not sure....I couldn't find any links. If someone has the correct information please jump in here.

I add vinegar....again to taste, I should just be able to taste it.

the following link gives one version of proper canning method (although every cookbook I have has something different)

http://www.canning-food-recipes.com/canning_tomatoes.htm

I would recommend that anyone new to canning check out a few site to get the basics.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Kim

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-11-2003 - 3:09pm
Thanks to both of you... i am still not sure what we're going to do. I wonder if freezing it is a possibility? Sounds MUCH easier.. LOL

*** daisy ***

BabyFoot.jpg picture by cl-daisy526

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-12-2003 - 6:28pm
Daisy,

I'm a firm believer in EASY! LOL

Why not make a tomato based pasta sauce and then just freeze it. It's easier than canning the salsa.

The peppers you can just wash, slice and freeze.

I'm jealous, our tomatoes did not do well at all this year.

Cheers,

Kim