Come on, show your age

iVillage Member
Come on, show your age
Sat, 09-13-2003 - 7:42am
As I am sitting here this morning, the TV is on and I can't help but be appaulled at the state of children's programming. I remember when Saturday morning cartoons were a huge treat. You missed them Saturday morning, you were 'toonless for the next week. I loved my toons. Also, I remember PBS being better. So, what did you watch as a kid?

I loved the Electric Company. I remember thinking that Sesame Street was a kiddie show and EC was for adults. My worldly sister (2 years old than me) set me straight, letting me know that I too was allowed to watch EC.

Cartoonwise, I loved the Superfriends, old Scooby-Doo (hated Scrappy), Joise and the Pussycats, the Laff-A-Lympics, Captain Caveman, and the weekend specials. Anyone else remember 'The Trouble With Miss Switch'? It was my favorite weekend special. I also watched the Smurfs even though I was probably too old for cartoons when it was out.

What are your childhood TV memories?

TracyPalmPoster.jpg picture by cl-daisy526

Pages

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-13-2003 - 9:12am
Well - I know for sure you are younger than me!!! My fave memory is Howdy Dowdy!!! Loved Princess Summer, Fall, Winter, Spring! I thougt she was just beautiful! Next was the Mickey Mouse Club! Yikes - I am getting old!!! LOL

Sandy

photo RainyDay_zpsece18f80.jpg

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-13-2003 - 11:34am
The Flintstones were the only real cartoon type show I remember watching. I DO remember Leave it To Beaver tho - - that was one of my favorites. And a show called Family Affair with Buffy and Jody.(lol)

~~tracy

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-16-2003 - 1:24pm
Tracy,

My favorites....Beany and Cecil and the Mickey Mouse Club. Boy oh boy I wanted a pair of those ears with my name on it.

Also liked Rocky and Bulwinkle, Flintstones, The Jetsons, Scooby-Doo, Looney Tunes, The Archies.

Cheers,

Kim

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-16-2003 - 2:17pm
How did I miss this question???? LOL

Okay... i loved watching H.R. PufnStuff! I just loved that show. I thought Jimmy was so darn cute. And Witchypoo was always after Freddy, Jimmy's magical talking flute. And the Mayor of Living Island (where Jimmy was stranded) was a big huge talking dragon (HR PufnStuff). I love the song too... lol Does anyone else remember this show?

*** Daisy ***

PS: I also watched Underdog and Droopy Dog...

BabyFoot.jpg picture by cl-daisy526

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-16-2003 - 2:34pm
You know, I Vaguely remember something like that...

the song - - - you're not talking about "Puff the Magic Dragon, lived by the sea..."?

That is the only PUF I know!(lol)

Me too on Underdog - - that was a good one I think!

~~tracy

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-16-2003 - 3:12pm
Nope... not Puff the Magic Dragon... lol. Here's a link for you to check (and so you will know i'm not crazy.. lol)

http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/ShowMainServlet/showid-2338/

I also thought of some others that i watched...The Monkees, The Brady Bunch, I Love Lucy and Andy Griffith.

*** Daisy ***

Remember the good ole days!!

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-16-2003 - 4:01pm
I remember now!!

That started in '69 - - I was 11!!

That is so cool how they actually describe Each episode.

Yes, Monkees - - - I watched them too and I LOVED Davey!(vbg)

~~tracy

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-17-2003 - 7:32am
Do I remember the song...."Who's your friend when things get rough?"

Tracy

TracyPalmPoster.jpg picture by cl-daisy526
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-17-2003 - 10:49am
LOL... Good going Tracy! Now I'm going to be singing that all day long! LOL

*** Daisy ***

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-17-2003 - 3:50pm
I'd have to say that my all time favorite show as a kid was the muppets, smurfs, carebears, yogi bear, scoopy doo and the gang... I totally agree with you about the new saturday morning cartoons..... turned on the tv this past saturday just to see what saturday morning cartoons were like since I haven't watched them in 21 years.... what a load crap they are......

Pages