recognizing early signs of bipolar

iVillage Member
recognizing early signs of bipolar
Mon, 01-25-2010 - 9:15am
My 19 yr. old dd was just diagnosed bipolar. It's been emotional for the whole family. She feels I should have recognized a long time ago that she needed therapy and gotten her help before it came to this point. She is my oldest child. I think back to the way she was as a child. She was always moody, sometimes depressed. She often had age inappropriate tantrums. After first grade I homeschooled her because she couldn't handle being in a classroom. She'd hide under her desk or a beanbag with her hands over her ears crying that it was too loud. I did actually ask her teachers and doctors about her, they always assured me she was very smart and healthy. My main concern is that one of her younger brothers (age 7) seems to exhibit some of those same behaviors. He hides when he's forced into social situations he doesn't like. He is often depressed (taken months to adjusting to moving to a new house). He also throws tantrums and can't seems to focus long enough to learn to read. Should I be worried about this child? Should I take him to see someone now? I'm not sure anyone would think there is anything seriously wrong with him. Maybe there isn't.
iVillage Member
Mon, 01-25-2010 - 2:22pm
I don't think it could hurt to have him evaluated considering that his sister has recently been diagnosed.

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-27-2010 - 11:38am

I agree with Amy about checking out the child bipolar board and having your son checked out since you daughter was recently diagnosed.

I know first hand that bipolar is not easy on the person who has it or the family memebers who loves and wants to help the person with bipolar. It is not your fault you did not recognize the signs earlier and she is getting an early dianoses at her age anyway. A lot of people are misdiagnosed for so long and when they are in their 30's, 40, or even 50's , the pdocs figure it out.

Is your daughter in therapy now and receiving meds for her symptoms?

I would recommend checking out the www.nami.org site. They have a ton of information on mental illnesses and they even have a family support educational program and support groups in many states and counties. They also have groups and support for your daughter.

I wish you, your daughter, and family the best through this difficult time. It is hard, but with education about the illness and support, you all can get through this together.

~ Tina ~

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-28-2010 - 9:59am
Thanks. There is a Nami in a town near us, I'll look into it. She seems to be doing better on her meds now, but she's living in the dorms so I really don't know how things are going. She's seeing a therapist, but she doesn't share that information with me. If she'd been diagnosed a couple years ago, I'd feel like I have a little more control over what's happening. Since she's an "adult" now, I feel like I'm just an unwilling passenger on the crazy train. I suppose I just have to give her some space and pray she comes out of it okay.
iVillage Member
Thu, 01-28-2010 - 12:32pm

I understand how you

~ Tina ~