OH!! Cook Book Review!....

iVillage Member
OH!! Cook Book Review!....
Mon, 09-15-2003 - 10:57pm
Well, I picked up a new cook-book from the Library today.

It is a HOOT!!!

It's by Jill Conner Browne

It's called: The Sweet Potato Queens' Big-Ass Cookbook (and financial planner)

I must say it does need a 'PG' or possibly an 'R' rating in some areas.

Here is what one of the recipes says:

"Mom's friend Dorothy Frazier makes this pumpkin stuff that will make you the most popular one at any potluck dinner you ever attend. (I know, the thought of pumpkin goobs some people out, but trust me, folks will gnaw off their neighbor's arm to get at this stuff.) I'm sure it has a real name, but we just call it That Pumpkin Stuff That Dorothy Makes. You mix together 1 16ounce can of pumpkin and a can of Pet evaporated milk, and then you add 1 cup sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, and 3 eggs. Then you put that stuff in a greased 9-by-13-inch pan and crumble 1 yellow (butter) cake mix (we use Duncan Hines) and 1 cup chopped pecans on top of it and then you pour 2 sticks melted butter over it. (It's hard even to write that with a straight face - TWO sticks?-Yes, ma'am-Yum, no?) Bake it for 50-60 minutes at 350.

While you let it cool off, make the frosting by mixing together 8 ounces cream cheese, 1 cup powdered sugar, and 2 cups Cool Whip, then smear it on top of the pumpkin stuff and put some more pecans on top. Then force yourself to put it in the refrigerator until it's time to go to the potluck dinner; otherwise you won't have any left to take. When you get there, immediately serve yourself a big wad of it and go off somewhere safe to eat it, because once the next person tastes it, it's over - they'll be swarming over it like yellow jackets on a KFC bag."

A few other recipes are: Fried Dill Pickles, Georges White Chili, Ray Lee's Tomato Cornbread, and of course, Queen of the Night Salsa!

There are such funny stories that go with each recipe - - I'm going to enjoy this cookbook and I very well MAY end up Buying my own copy.

LIbraries are Great for checking out cook-books BeFORe you buy.

Just came back to give you the web site - - it was in the beginning of the book, but, I don't read books from the beginning!(lol) so I missed it first time round.

It is: http://www.sweetpotatoqueens.com

Remember, this is NOT Betty Crocker!(lol)

~~tracy

Edited 9/15/2003 11:11:07 PM ET by stracy1

Edited 9/15/2003 11:14:58 PM ET by stracy1

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-16-2003 - 4:10pm
OH my Gosh... this is hysterical! In other words, they're "No Bake Cookies" LOL I can't wait to tell my friend about this... we do this same thing in the pool! In fact, we're going on the 25 & 26th to a hotel about 2 hours away to do this very thing. lol

But, we call it Bobbing... We take beachballs or our boogie boards and sit on them and just bob... like a bobber on a fishline.

Man, i knew i'd like this book! LOL

*** Daisy ***

BabyFoot.jpg picture by cl-daisy526

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-16-2003 - 3:58pm
Okay, I just had to come back in here and "report" another recipe!(lol)

Here t'is:

CATSH*T Cookies

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"An honored member of our Worldwide Sweet Potato Queen Movement, Diana, wrote that her friends were taking it easy in their old age (their forties), and they liked to make what they call Catsh*t Cookies (well, that IS sort of what they look like) because they don't take any time to make - you don't even have to bake 'em. Just put 1 stick BUTTER, 1/2 cup COCOA, 2 cups SUGAR, and 1/2 cup MILK in a pan and cook it just until it bubbles a little bit around the sides. Then take it off the heat and dump in 3 cups Quick Oatmeal, 1/2 cup Peanut Butter, and 1 running-over teaspoon Vanilla. Stir it up and drop globs of it onto waxed paper and let it cool. (Cooling is, of course, optional.) Diana and her friends' favorite pastime is "water buffaloing": They all lie in the shallow end of the pool and drink. Diana and her friends are aging gracefully, sounds like to me."

Somehow it just doesn't 'feel' right to put this with "real" recipes!(lol)

~~tracy

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-16-2003 - 3:27pm
I just got it!!

YES - - they must have thought WHAT - - big ass cook book??(LOL)

I bet you felt funny just saying it!(lol) like they think you are adding your OWN description!

Yes, Mississippi IS the South - - even South-er (lol) than ARKANSAS!!(lol)

Have fun!

~~tracy

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-16-2003 - 3:02pm
I couldn't do it here at work... but i will when i get home tonight! I can tell these are my kind of people....

Yeah, i knew it wasn't a cookbook but i wanted to read it anyway. I hope that when i bring it back, they'll have the big ass cookbook! LOL

I did call a used book shop that i frequent and asked if they had any of the "Sweet Potato Queen books" and she said... well i've never heard of them so i'd have to say no. LOL And the guy at the library had to ask me twice to repeat it... lol. But i guess he realized i wasn't a prank call after he found them on his database.

Looking forward to reading this... I'll let ya'll know about it when i'm done. All my family is in the south so this will be like visiting family!

*** Daisy ***

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-16-2003 - 2:25pm
""they have the Sweet Potato Queens Book of Love which i reserved and am going to pick up tonight on my way home from work. So... THANK YOU for this""

Now, that one's Not the cookbook, but, I bet it is just "full of it" too! Let me know how that one is.....hey, did you listen to her book reading? Just listening to her voice, I Know she must be a blast to know!

Hope you enjoy the book - Libraries are Great, huh?!

~~tracy

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-16-2003 - 2:07pm
Hey Lara!!!! So good to see you back... have you been lurking or just been busy?? Tracy's right... we're all geared up for SURVIVOR and i know you love you some Survivor!! LOL Just like I love me some Survivor.. oh boy, i'm getting silly now... lol.

Glad to see you ... don't you go sneaking off now, ya hear? :)

*** Daisy ***

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-16-2003 - 2:05pm
I am so glad that you gave me this idea. I did go to the Sweet Potato Queen website... they look like my kinda gals!! So... i called the library to find out if they had any, and they have the Sweet Potato Queens Book of Love which i reserved and am going to pick up tonight on my way home from work. So... THANK YOU for this.... i can't wait to read it. It reminds me of the Ya Ya Sisterhood books...

*** Daisy ***

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-16-2003 - 1:07pm
HEy there Laraber!!

Good to see ya!

Jill Conner Browne, the author, does sound like a very Earthy gal. I am really enjoying this book.

Hey, saw in your profile you "enjoy" a good reality show! There are a few of us here who CAN NOT WAIT till Thursday and the beginning of the next SURVIVOR!!!!

Glad you came by and hope to see you again!

~~tracy

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-16-2003 - 12:58pm
This sounds so funny, I'm going to have to see if they have that at our library. She sounds like my kind of people!
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-16-2003 - 11:35am
"PS: What's financial planning have to do with a cookbook???? ROFL"

Daisy - - here's One Financial Tip she has listed in her Exercise, Diet, and Other Cheesy Ideas chapter:

"If you spend enough money on diet books, exercise equipment that either doesn't work (because it's crap) or can't work (because you never touch it), diet "aids" youo drink, chew, or wear on your wrist (none of which will work), and joining gyms and exercise classes you never go to, eventually you will not have enought money to buy actual food and you will lose weight-at last."

Here's another paragraph:

"The financial planning parts of this book will no doubt be of as much value to you as they have been to us. In other words, for God's sake, get help from a qualified professional. This is a how-NOT-to book. As soon as we learn how TO, we'll let you in on it."

Daisy - - I almost always check out cook-books from the library First. . . I get a good chance to look them over, copy down anything I can't live without, and decide whether I really Want the book. There have been Lots of books I Thought I wanted TIll I actually had a chance to look over it a bit.

~~tracy

Pages