Need some recipes with high fiber

iVillage Member
Need some recipes with high fiber
Wed, 09-17-2003 - 2:59pm
My 3 year old is battling severe constipation. Dr says I need to increase her fiber intake greatly. My problem is I cant get her to eat raw fruits and veggies or bran cereal. Do you have any ideas for recipes that include bran or prunes or anything high in fiber?? Any ideas will help.

Thanks,

Cindy
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-17-2003 - 3:42pm
Try giving her prune juice with just a little 7-up or ginger ale in it. Just enought to give it little bubbles or a tickle in her nose.\

Patty

http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a306/yttap/siggys/
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-17-2003 - 3:54pm
Cindy - - I don't know anything about babies, but when I think of high fiber I always think of food like beans and corn. Doesn't something like pork and beans or baked beans have high fiber? Sometimes I fix just a mix of canned corn and a can of beans when I want to increase our fiber. Again, I have NO IDEA if this helps with kids, just wanted to thro that out there. She must be very uncomfortable- - hope something helps her soon.

~~tracy

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-17-2003 - 10:03pm
We battle the same thing in my house with a 4 year old. Sorry to be graphic, but if there is 1 bm a week, we are lucky. We've medicated, but it only seems to make her worse. At her 4 year old check-up, just 2 weeks ago, the pediatrician suggested we give her milk of magnesia every day (2 tsp.). This has worked better than anything to loosen her up. You name it, we've tried it: prunes, raisins, mineral oil, corn, Fig Newton cookies, etc. The Fig Newtons worked fairly well, as did apricots. Also, we have a local bakery that uses all whole grains. They make great cookies. We did oatmeal raisin cookies for her. Hope some of this helps.

Tracy

TracyPalmPoster.jpg picture by cl-daisy526
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-18-2003 - 7:46am
Hi there and welcome to the board! I personally have never had this problem or either of my girls but I have heard that increasing water intake helps. Also, do you give her vitamins with iron? I think sometimes that added iron is the culprit. Maybe every other day give her a vitamin with no added iron. Just a thought... i am by no means an expert here.. lol. Sounds like the other ladies gave good ideas too.

Hope you stick around so we can get to know you better!

*** Daisy ***

BabyFoot.jpg picture by cl-daisy526

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-18-2003 - 1:10pm
I dont know if this will work for a 3 year old but it worked for me and my DH and its yummy ! (ps : it makes alot so you could make a smaller version to test it out)

Barley Casserole

================

1 cube butter

1 chopped onion

1 bag of barley

3 cans chicken stock

1 large can mushrooms

1/2 cup soy sauce

1 chopped carrot (optional)

brown first three ingredients then add the rest.

pour into a casserole dish and bake at 350 for 1.5 hrs.

cover after first hour

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-18-2003 - 3:16pm
Dang... this sounds good even if you aren't backed up... LOL Thnaks for the help Moon...

*** Daisy ***

BabyFoot.jpg picture by cl-daisy526