Side Dish Challenge

iVillage Member
Side Dish Challenge
Thu, 09-18-2003 - 7:13am
When I started posting here, about a year and a half ago, I posted that I was having side dish burn-out. Daisy must have put about 20 recipes on the Board for me. I printed 90% of them (and am very thankful I did since we lost all our archieves). I am betting that a lot of others have the same problem; are doing okay with main dishes, but get tired of baked potatoes every night.

Let's see how many side dish recipes we can get posted. It can be something as simple as boiled buttered noodles sprinkled with parmesean cheese (thanks to Tracy for the inspiration of this post). You might give someone a great idea.

Tracy

TracyPalmPoster.jpg picture by cl-daisy526
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-18-2003 - 10:41am
You hit the nail on the head for me - - Side Dish Challenged!

I Never know what to fix with stuff. You are right - - most times it's a baked potato OR my constant and boring "instant" mashed potatoes....they are easy as get out, just pour in bowl, pour in 2 cups boiling water and stir - - BUT, that gets boring after a while and I just need some variety.

Now, I DO think that MExican rice is a nice side dish for some meals - even as a side for hamburgers. AND NOW I have a super-easy and yummy side dish that is Very popular: the buttered noodles sprinkled with parmesan! THAT stuff is GOOD!!

But, I hope to see some more good sides. I'll look around myself and see if I can come up with something.

GOOD CHALLENGE!!!

~~tracy

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-18-2003 - 3:09pm
Oh boy... I guess I'm going to have to outdo myself this time... lol. I'll have to wait till I get home and pull out my cookbooks. But.... it will HAVE TO BE AFTER SURVIVOR!!!!

I'm going to be all by myself tonight watching it... my daughter & hubby will be working and my other daughter will be at college. So, I'm going to pop me up some popcorn and sit down with my iced tea and enjoy me some Survivor! LOL

*** Daisy ***

PS: After that I'll get to the side dishes.

BabyFoot.jpg picture by cl-daisy526

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-18-2003 - 8:44pm
Hi,

Great idea!

How about spaetzles?!

Spaetzles

Mix:

1 1/2 cup of flour

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

3/4 teaspoon salt

Pinch of nutmeg

Beat together:

2 large eggs

1/2 cup of milk

Add to flour mixture. Beat well with a wooden spoon to create a fairly elastic batter.

bring to a simmer in a large sauce pan salted water.

Drop small bits of the batter from a spoon into the bubbling liquid. (I use a fork and knife, I scoop it up on the fork and slide off bits with the knife)

spaetzles are done when they float to the top. They should be light and delicate, although slightly chewy. If they are as heavy as rocks add a bit mor milk.

Serve sprinkled with butter or melt butter in a small skillet and cook until toasted breadcrumbs....sprinkle over hot spaetzles.

Enjoy! Took this recipe out of the Joy of Cooking.

Cheers,

Kim

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-18-2003 - 10:07pm
A few I like is..........

Creamed Peas

2 cups frozen peas, thawed

2/3 cup water

1/8 tsp salt

3 TBLSP butter

1/3 c heavy cream ( half and half)

2 TBLSP all purpose flour

1 TBLSP sugar

In sauce pan combine peas, water and salt. Bring to boil stir in butter. In small bowl whisk cream, flour and sugar. Stir into vegies over medium heat until thick and bubbly, about 5 minutes

I also like to add red potatos to this too and even the kids liked it.

Creamy Vegetables

1 can 10 3/4 oz Campbells healthy request cream of celery

1/2 c milk

2 tsp lemon juice

1/8 tsp pepper

1 16 oz bag frozen vegetable combination broccoli, cauliflower, carrots

Mix in saucepan mix all ingredients heat to boil. Cover and cook on low heat for 10 minutes or until tender

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-19-2003 - 1:39pm
Yayyyyyy!!

I thought of a side dish that I DO cook! Here it is:

~~~Campbell's® Green Bean Casserole~~~(A classic Thanksgiving recipe)

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 30 minutes

Makes 6 servings

1 can Campbells® Cream of Mushroom Soup

1/2 cup milk

1 tsp. soy sauce

Dash pepper

1 bag (16 to 20 oz.) frozen green beans

OR 2 pkg. (9 oz. each) frozen green beans

OR 2 cans (about 16 oz. each) green beans

OR 1 1/2 lb. fresh green beans

1 1/3 cups French's® French fried onions

MIX soup, milk, soy sauce, pepper, beans and 2/3 cup onions in 1 1/2-qt.

casserole.

BAKE at 350°F. for 25 min. or until hot.

STIR. Sprinkle with remaining onions. Bake 5 min.

*****I never used the soy sauce in it tho. And MORE than a dash of pepper!

~~tracy