QOTD for Monday

iVillage Member
QOTD for Monday
Mon, 09-22-2003 - 7:10am
Chicken? Do you eat it? Which parts? Are you a whole chicken person, breasts only, etc.

I like a whole chicken, with the skin removed. I know we are out-numbered, but I am a dark meat person. I love thighs. My kids like drumsticks, HEY, another question, which term do you use; drumstick or leg? So I buy tons of whole chickens when they are on sale for about .49/lbs and stock the freezer. I've gotten to be a pretty good chicken butcher. I also keep a bag of boneless skinless breasts onhand for convenience; casseroles, stir fry, or skillet style recipes.

Tracy

TracyPalmPoster.jpg picture by cl-daisy526
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-22-2003 - 10:23am
Eeeeeek - - don't get that whole chicken Near me!!(lol)

I tried a couple times to do a chicken, and once the rowdy thing jumped in the floor and slid around for a while!(vbg)

No, I just buy skinless, boneless breasts. ONCE in a while, I want a "leg". My husband likes the buffalo/whatever chicken wings you get when you go out to eat.....I do too, but I don't make them at home...maybe someday. And my husband tried a couple times to cook breasts With bone/skin on the grill and that didn't turn out so good!(lol)

I would LIKE to fix a whole chicken someday with herbs and make my house smell good, but, we shall see. They need to put some grippers on those chickens so you can get a hold of 'em. Maybe I'll try again now that it's getting cooler.

~~tracy

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-22-2003 - 10:54am
I LOVE CHICKEN!! I could eat it every day but my family protests. I usually just buy the boneless, skinless breasts when they're on sale and I also buy a bag of frozen individual breasts for when i forget to lay something out of the freezer. My husband and daughter like the legs and i do buy packages of legs only for them that I fry. To me they're legs... drumstick is an ice cream treat.

I DO boil chicken with bones (if i ever get any) first to make sure it's cooked before I grill them.

I never buy whole chickens... the one time I did, I tore that thing up. I had little bitty wings and legs and then these whole huge other pieces.. lol. My husband's cousin is a butcher and i asked him for advice but I still never got it down. I know it's more economical but i think of it as not wasting "parts" that I don't want because we normally only eat breasts & legs.

I guess I could cook think of it as a miniature turkey and cook it like I do at Thanksgiving... never thought of that. Tear it up after i cook it rather than before. Hmmm.. thanks for making me think, Tracy... I think I'm going to buy a whole chicken next time I see them on sale.

*** Daisy ***

BabyFoot.jpg picture by cl-daisy526

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-22-2003 - 11:01am
I swear, buying whole when on sale is the only way to go. I spend about $2 for a huge bird. I have also roasted them before cutting it up. Works great. I've never thought about boiling before grilling. Bet it cuts down on grill time too. Great tip.

Tracy

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-22-2003 - 11:07am
I have a great idea for you. To get the whole roasted chicken in the house smell thing going, use that crock-pot. I will take my whole chicken, without cutting it (I do pull that nasty skin off though), put some oil (very small amount, like 1 T.) and spices ( I recommend salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic) in a bowl. Mix them up. Put your chicken in the bowl and just sort of roll it around to coat it in the stuff. Put the chicken in the crock-pot and turn it on. Wonderful, fall off the bone chicken, with great smells. You can do any spice variation you want.

I then pull the leftover chicken off the bones and make chicken salad.

Tracy

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-22-2003 - 11:41am
The whole bird in the crock-pot - - I CAN do that!!

Hey, I love carrots - - could I stick a bunch of carrots in there too? And maybe a tator?

So wait - - when you say you pull that nasty skin off - - are you talking about that globby stuff by the "end" of the bird, or ALL the skin off? Cause if you leave the skin on, doesn't the pot get greasy? I think I'll use your spice selection, that sounds good.

Boy, I'm ready for the bird!(lol)

~~tracy

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-22-2003 - 1:59pm
I take all the skin off, globby ends and all. It's a pain to do, but skin grosses me out. Don't add any water, plenty of juice will cook out of the bird. I also baste a few times in the afternoon, once it's cooked through.

You can add any veggies that you want. Yum...I see one of these headed my way this week.

Tracy

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-22-2003 - 5:21pm
I prefer dark meat but will eat just about any part. I'm not fond of legs though. I also like to rotisserie a whole chicken...the parts I don't eat (DH will not eat chicken unless it's battered and deep fried! LOL!) I can make into soup or use in another way.

Kelly

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-23-2003 - 10:53am
I love chicken! I'm a white meat person. When we go out to a resturant or something, I'll usually get a breast or a couple of wings. We normally buy boneless skinless breasts to use at home. That's another thing I buy generic, lol.

Jo, Community Leader for
Childfree by Choice on Health http://