QOTD for Tuesday

iVillage Member
QOTD for Tuesday
Tue, 09-23-2003 - 7:16am
Do you buy/use generic food products?

I do on most everything I can. One of the only products I didn't like as well as the national brand was steak sauce. Kroger's cannot compare to A-1. I also prefer Hellmann's mayonnaise to the store brand. I don't know why, but when I bake a lot around the holidays, I splurge for Land 'O Lakes butter. Also, I will buy name brands when they are on sale.

Tracy

TracyPalmPoster.jpg picture by cl-daisy526
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-23-2003 - 9:00am
I buy the store brand of pasta at Acme Markets (Albertson's) and find it's every bit as good as the imported brands. It goes on sale now and then for .59 to .89 a pound. I also agree with you about Hellman's mayo - I've never found anything to compare. I also buy DelMonte brand tomatoes because it's the only brand I can find that has a "no salt added" variety of diced and stewed tomatoes. I wait for it to go on sale and stock up.

I buy in bulk too, either from Whole Foods or Swanns Pantry (Exton, PA). When a box of Quaker Oats costs around $1.50, it's nice to find really fresh oats for .49 a pound!

Elaine

Elaine

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-23-2003 - 9:25am
I love a good bargain shopper. I do the bulk thing all the time. My freezer stays stocked up.

Tracy

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-23-2003 - 10:51am
Oh, yeah, I love generics. Let's see, what all do I buy generic? I usually buy fish filets, canned tomatoes for dh, paper towels... I'm thinking, I'm thinking. Hmmm... that was hard. I know that I *would* buy a lot more generics if it wasn't for dh liking certian brands. Really the only thing I'm particular on about brand names is soy milk. I like Silk, and Wal-Mart hasn't come up with a generic yet. I know Publix has, but we're not down there often enough for that to do any good. If I had my way, I'd buy almost everything generic.

Jo, Community Leader for
Childfree by Choice on Health http://

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-23-2003 - 11:40am
I actually LIke the Kroger brand of A-1 stuff!(lol)

We buy a lot of Kroger brand stuff, things that aren't That critical - sugar, pop-tarts, coffee. Then, Some things Have to have name brand, like Flour, Malted Milk Balls (lol), and Diet Coke....We try hard to like the Sams Coke or the Big K cola, but just doesn't work for us.

~~tracy

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-23-2003 - 11:48am
I like the Diet Big K Citrus Drop- generic Mt. Dew. I go all generic on baking supplies; flour, sugar, etc. I do buy Morton's salt though. With salt, you can get like a 5 lbs. bag of it for .79 for Morton's or .69 for generic, so why save a dime LOL. I had forgot about coffee. I have drank plenty of generic, but seems to like Maxwell House better.

Tracy

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-23-2003 - 2:14pm
I usually buy store brand too on most things... but there are a few i cannot... like Ranch Dressing. I like HVR Ranch (dry mix that you mix with mayo & milk, the taste is just SO much better than bottled). I also cannot skimp on dry cereal... those kroger brand Lucky Charms & Cap'n Crunch just are NOT the same. I agree with the steak sauce, Tracy... nothing is as good as A-1 but WHY is it so expensive??? I just don't get it... Have you seen the recipe to make it yourself? I have but i've not been brave enough to try it yet.

*** Daisy ***

BabyFoot.jpg picture by cl-daisy526

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-23-2003 - 2:20pm
Glad to see there is another adult out there that likes their kiddie cereal ;-) I haven't seen the recipe for A-1. I have discovered Adolph's Marinade in Minutes ('Meat' variety) and haven't used anyting else since. No steak sauce needed.

Tracy