DGS has Jaundice

iVillage Member
DGS has Jaundice
Tue, 02-02-2010 - 2:51pm

My dd and the baby have different blood types, she is O+ and her is A+, so her antibodies are attacking his red blood cell, therefore, they are not turning over and developing as fast for his liver to filter the bilirubin. They both were so supposed to come home yesterday, but his levels went back up and they put him on the light therapy last night. They are still testing doing tests today. They may get to come home this evening, but not sure. I hope so. The docs said they deal with this often and he is not in danger, but they have to keep an eye on him so it does not become serious. She is breast feeding, so that makes it harder for him to drink enough to help this all work through his bowels, but they supplimented a bottle and have had her pumping some to get extra milk to give him with a syringe, along with her normal breast feeding times.

I have a sinus cold, so I did not go to the hospital today. Just sitting at dd's hoping they can come home to the comfort of their own home and wanting baby Cash

~ Tina ~

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-02-2010 - 5:38pm
Aw, sorry to hear it! I am B- so understand. I hope it resolves quickly and they both get home soon. (((hugs)))

<
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-03-2010 - 8:29am

Thanks Kelli,

They did come home yesterday about 6pm, but they have to take Cash back this morning to get tested. At least they were able to spend the night at home with some comfort.

~ Tina ~