New oven and fridge...advice please....

iVillage Member
New oven and fridge...advice please....
Mon, 10-13-2003 - 3:54pm
Okay, I have been doing the happy dance since yesterday b/c my parents, being the wonderful and generous people that they are, offered to buy me and DH a new stove and fridge as our belated house warming gift! Our oven has decided to go on strike and only works when it feels like it so we really need a new one! So, I'm very excited...I never thought I could get excited over such things. Well, anyway, I think I am going with a Kenmore Elite stove with flat range, 4 burners + a warming burner and a bridge burner, 4.6 cu ft convection oven + a warming drawer. Anyone have any experience with these? We've always had good luck with Kenmore and I will get a service contract with Sears as I think they are very good on servicing their products *just in case*.

The other one I chose was a Maytag with almost all the same things except it is not a convection oven, and it is a double oven rather than the warming drawer, which is nice, but I cannot find a convection oven in a double oven and I really want a convection b/c I hear they cook better. Also, the Maytag oven is a little bit smaller than the Kenmore. They are both the same price so that isn't a big deal.

Also, the fridge is a Kenmore, 24 cu ft (I think - it's pretty big!) double doors on top and the freezer is the pull out drawer kind (7.3 cu ft) - We looked at 5 different places and NO ONE has anything like this one with the double doors on top and drawer freezer on bottom, so I think this is the only one I can get. Anyways, we have a side by side now and I swear, as God as my witness I will never own another side by side again! I hate it...they are so inconvienient and the freezer is so ridiculously small and awkward. But it will be a nice second fridge/freezer for us as it is still working well. Maybe if I didn't buy so much frozen foods it wouldn't be a problem...but that's what we eat!

Just curious if anyone has any input. I have never picked out such major appliances before.

Thanks

Kelly

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-13-2003 - 5:32pm

WHAT A LUCKY GIRL!!!!!!!!!

WOw Kelly - - that is wonderful - - I know you were talking about the side by side fridge and being hard to store stuff!!

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-13-2003 - 7:07pm
Thanks Tracy. The top of this is the same as your Jenn Air - the flat glass like top. I looked at the Jenn Air but, I cannot have a downdraft exhaust - well i could but it would require reconstruction in my house which we are not ready for now. My mom has a Jenn Air and loves it, except that she could not get it in convection at that time. Though she is looking at Vikings now! LOL! As if she cooks!

A bridge burner is really cool. It connects the front and back burner with like an in between burner so that WHOLE side heats up...good for things like those big griddles or oversized pots, etc. And you can use just one burner and the bridge or both burners with the bridge or without.

I know what you mean about the double oven, which is why I'm so torn. I have to choose between the convection oven with the warming drawer or the double oven which is not convection.

As far as the freezer drawer...I think it's a new thing, but it's supposed to be more efficient b/c the coldest part is on the bottom and the laws of physics dictate that the cold air goes down so it will not have to "kick on" as much. Also, it will hold DH's pizzas! ;o) Plus the fridge just looks cool! Especially in stainless steel! LOL! I measured everything and it will definitely fit with room to spare!

Thanks for your advice and I will definitely be bragging about my new stuff when I get it!! LOL!!

Kelly

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-13-2003 - 8:06pm

My mom has a Jenn Air and loves it, except that she could not get it in convection at that time. Though she is looking at Vikings now! LOL! As if she cooks!

Now, Now, it's never too late for her to start cooking!(lol)

I LOVE that bridge-burner idea!!

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-13-2003 - 8:18pm
The old one going out is what prompted the offer to buy us a new one! This stove is the original one with the house which was built in 1974! It's a Kenmore and lasted this long! I was shocked that it had never even been serviced before - we bought my grandparents house when they went into a nursing home so I know they took good care of it!

Kelly

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-13-2003 - 8:32pm

That is so cool that you two got your grandparents home!