Thursday's Dinner will be......

iVillage Member
Thursday's Dinner will be......
Thu, 10-16-2003 - 7:41am

So, are you fixing an old reliable, or trying something new?

Are you going OUT for dinner?

Somebody fixing food for YOU?

What cha eating today??

Visit My Mail Stamp!

~~tracy

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-16-2003 - 7:57am

Thursdays are pretty much our fish night......I've got some haddock patties and I'll heat those up with some curly-fries and I'm thinking of making a cole-slaw to go with.

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-16-2003 - 8:01am
I know what you mean about the slaw! I love the oil/vingegar kind! I had one at a picnic this summer that was to die for! I'll have to find out who made it and get the recipe. It had uncooked ramen noodles in it for some crunch and I think almond slivers...plus all the other cole slaw stuff! It was very good.

Don't know what we are having...I want to go out, but DH has to work late - maybe I'll get my parents to take me out! LOL!

Kelly

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-16-2003 - 8:05am
Well, hubby came home last night while I was boiling the chicken and said that he wanted to go out to dinner, and being one NOT to fight that suggestion, the chicken went into the fridge!! I'll be making chicken and dumplings tonight, probably with some homemade bread and then a shoo-fly pie for dessert.

~Carrie

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-16-2003 - 8:07am

Too funny - - didn't Mom make chili for you LAST night?(vbg)

Hey, I hope Mom feeds that guy of yours too, or does he have to fend for himself?(lol)

Boy, Kelly, if you DO happen to find out that recipe, that would be great!!

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-16-2003 - 8:12am

I'm envious....last time I made bread it turned into a baseball bat!!

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-16-2003 - 8:55am
I'm going to be out shopping tonight, so dinner will be picking up something quick (probably a cheeseburger!). And the enchiladas from last night were fabulous! I'll post the recipe in the recipe section. Enjoy!

cgirl

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-16-2003 - 9:02am
Shoo-fly pie is a Pennsylvania Dutch treat made primarily out of molasses. It's considered a wet-bottom pie, because the bottom portion is a gooey custard, while the next part is more cakey, and then there's the crumb topping. It's very rich and sweet, so it's best served with whipped cream! ROFL

It gets its name because it used to sit in windows to cool, but due to the sweeteness of the molasses and brown sugar, they were constantly having to shoo the flies away.

~Carrie

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-16-2003 - 9:06am
As a Pennsylvania Dutch girl myself, I have to agree that shoo fly pie is wonderful! My mom used to make this for us when I was growing up and she always made it to sell at bake sales. I have her recipe at home, maybe I'll have to try to make it myself...
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-16-2003 - 10:18am
My great-grandmother was PA Dutch. And while most of my family never paid it any attention, in the past few years, I have taken to that type of food preparation. I love the simpleness of it all, if you can call preparing some of that "simple!" lol Plus, my son has some mental/developmental issues, and the purity of that style really works well for us.

I am just patiently waiting until hubby gets out of the Navy (whenever that may be! lol) and we get to move to the Lancaster PA-area. I always loved visiting there while growing up, so it will be a dream come true to actually live there! (originally, I'm from southwestern PA)

~Carrie

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-16-2003 - 10:35am

Carrie - I admire your attitude!