Something went terribly wrong here....

iVillage Member
Something went terribly wrong here....
Thu, 10-16-2003 - 1:30pm

The recipe I posted below for Shoofly Pie - - - it did NOT work for me!

I KNOW I did everything it said to do, but mine came out, well, it was like all the flour/butter/brown sugar topping part that is supposed to be mushed in just sat there....It seemed like there must have been at Least 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup of that mixture STILL completely dry!

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-16-2003 - 2:00pm
Any time I've had or made Shoo-Fly pie, I've had a crumbly top. Yes, some of it does sink in/soak up and become part of the cakey top, but then there is also the crumbs on top.

Keep trying, and with different recipes until you find one that you like. I know that, even with allllllll the PA Dutch recipes and cookbooks out there, the one that tastes the most like what I've eaten in Strasburg, PA, comes from my "Prime Time Emeril" cookbook...of all places!! His recipe is better to me even that the Amish cookbook that I swear by!! ROFL

I'll post the recipe under the Shoo-Fly pie section if you want to try it. (also, here's a website with a picture of what it looks like ... http://www.padutch.com/z/dutchhaven.htm )

~Carrie

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-16-2003 - 5:46pm

What a difference!!

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-16-2003 - 7:31pm
You are very welcome!! And good call on the Karo Syrup substitute! There are many people who do like Shoo-Fly Pie, but don't like molasses, so instead they use a full substitute of dark syrup. Works pretty much the same way, as you found out!

Way to go -- both on getting the recipe to your liking, and for trying something new!!

~Carrie

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-17-2003 - 7:10am

Tracy,

Thanks for being our guinea pig on this.

TracyPalmPoster.jpg picture by cl-daisy526
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-17-2003 - 10:54am

Oh, just give it to Tracy....She'll eat anything!(lol)