~*~*~FRIDAY FIVES~*~*~

iVillage Member
~*~*~FRIDAY FIVES~*~*~
Fri, 10-17-2003 - 12:24am

1. If you were baking a cake, would you use a HAND-Mixer . . . . or a STAND-Mixer?

2. Do you have (and USE) a food-processor?

3. Do you have a toaster or a toaster-oven on your kitchen counter?

4. What kitchen appliance (other than a stove or fridge) could you NOT live without?

5. What do the plates/bowls that you use for your evening meals look like?

BONUS QUESTION:

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-17-2003 - 7:16am

1. If you were baking a cake, would you use a HAND-Mixer . . . . or a STAND-Mixer?

TracyPalmPoster.jpg picture by cl-daisy526
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-17-2003 - 7:42am

1. If you were baking a cake, would you use a HAND-Mixer . . . . or a STAND-Mixer? Actually, my husband Tried to get me to buy a stand mixer, but, I really don't think I need it AND it takes up too much space for me.

2. Do you have (and USE) a food-processor? I was given a mini-food processor a couple X-mas's back...but I didn't COOK then!(vbg)....I am thinking of getting a new one as I gave that one away!(don't tell!(lol))

3. Do you have a toaster or a toaster-oven on your kitchen counter?We have both...I just went crazy with Chrome (vbg) and bought a new 4 slicer (with bagel button - wink,wink), AND I bought a new chrome (or stainless steel looking) Toaster oven which I HATE...I gave away my old ugly white one and now I want it back!(lol)

4. What kitchen appliance (other than a stove or fridge) could you NOT live without? the Microwave is my best friend. I use him EVeryday....when I first moved to my house, the cooktop only had 2 burners...the other side was grill...I Never needed more than 2 burners....NOW, I've purchased the burners and took the grill part off, but I STILL use that microwave.

5. What do the plates/bowls that you use for your evening meals look like? We used to use Correll with a green ivy pattern around the edge....they are very light and easy to wash but, I got tired of that and I found some Deep Orangish Red dishes that are Ironstone and I just love them...the food looks Beautiful on them and it's worth it even if they are heavier to wash.

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-17-2003 - 7:55am

""5. What do the plates/bowls that you use for your evening meals look like?

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-17-2003 - 7:56am

Well, my stand-mixer is so big and heavy, I usually use the hand-mixer unless I'm doing a lot of baking at once.

I have one of the mini chopper ones. I've used it a few times, but it's hard to clean and it makes me nervous b/c it always smells like it's going to catch on fire! LOL!!

Toaster - rarely used!

4. What kitchen appliance (other than a stove or fridge) could you NOT live without?

Microwave of course!

I have plain white ones that have a flowered design etched around the edges.

BONUS QUESTION: do you have fresh batteries to put in your smoke-detectors at the end of the month?

*Blush* I don't have any batteries in them now! The one in the kitchen didn't stop going off when the oven was on - no matter what! And the one in the upstairs kept beeping every 5 seconds. So we took the batteries out. I think we'll have to buy new ones!

Kelly

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-17-2003 - 8:05am

*Blush* I don't have any batteries in them now! The one in the kitchen didn't stop going off when the oven was on - no matter what! And the one in the upstairs kept beeping every 5 seconds. So we took the batteries out. I think we'll have to buy new ones!

FOr SHAME For SHAME For SHAME!!!!(lol)

You sound like me!!

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-17-2003 - 8:32am
1. I own a hand mixer as well, but I always use my stand mixer, I love it!

2. We use our food processor about once a week.

3. We have a toaster and a toaster oven. But I confess, we've had the toaster oven for over a year and have only used it twice! (I bought it mainly for looks, lol)

4. I couldn't live without my blender! Gotta have smoothies.

5. Our "everyday" plates and bowls are a matte off-white color. They have a very modern shape to them, some are squared off at the edges and others are round.

We always have batteries for the smoke detector - DH is fanatical about checking the smoke detectors :-)

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-17-2003 - 9:07am

~~~~~~ Stand mixer .... I LOVE my KitchenAid!!

~~~~~~ Yes, I have a processor, and I use it.

~~~~~~ Toaster, but it doesn't sit on the counter (it's in a lower cabinet)

~~~~~~ I think I would honestly have to say my untensils. Whisk, spoons, spatula, etc. I've had to make things in the past without most appliances, and I actually had more fun! While I love my mixer, I still end up making alot of things by hand.

~~~~~~ I don't have a complete set. My bowls are two types; one has an autumn motif and colors on it, and the others are a dirty-white kind of color (the nice big cereal bowls!). Our plates actually came from the last submarine that hubby was attached to; oddly enough, the same dirty-white color of the bowls I found, but there is a dark blue line around the edge and a small anchor at the top. We lucked into these when the boat got new china, and was literally going to THROW AWAY the old stuff!! Hubby grabbed a box of them (about 40!!), so we are set to host quite the party! ROFL

BONUS QUESTION: do you have fresh batteries to put in your smoke-detectors at the end of the month?

~~~~~~ Being the daughter of a firefighter and the wife of a Sailor, you betcha!! ;)

~Carrie

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-17-2003 - 10:05am

We have a toaster and a toaster oven. But I confess, we've had the toaster oven for over a year and have only used it twice! (I bought it mainly for looks, lol)

LOLOL!!

You sound like me!!

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-17-2003 - 10:16am

Our plates actually came from the last submarine that hubby was attached to; oddly enough, the same dirty-white color of the bowls I found, but there is a dark blue line around the edge and a small anchor at the top. We lucked into these when the boat got new china, and was literally going to THROW AWAY the old stuff!! Hubby grabbed a box of them (about 40!!), so we are set to host quite the party! ROFL

Wow - - That is cool that you have Submarine dishes!

Carrie, how long did your hubby spend on a sub?

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-17-2003 - 1:00pm
Michael being on a submarine certainly wans't easy! But, we adjust and we overcome and we survive. Currently, we are on shore duty, which means he isn't attached to any boat for 3.5yrs and is instead a Navy nuclear instructor. Our time together will be up, tho, next summer when it's back to a sea rotation. All we know right now is that we will be heading to Virginia...not sure which sub, tho.

When we were in CT, in the almost-4yrs that we were there, he was on two different subs, and was gone quite a bit. We did three full-blown 6-month deployments, as well as many smaller runs that ranged from a week to 3months. He pretty much never saw summer while we were there, always being at sea during that time. In the 43months that we were there, he was only home for roughly 14months total, with the longest straight away being 5wks in a row. Yes, it's tough. But it's what we have chosen to do and we wouldn't change a thing. (no, I don't enjoy him being at sea, but I think you all get my point! lol)

We have been thankful enough that he was around for the births of both our children - altho he cut it quite close with Hollyann....he got back a week before her due date, and I went a week late, so we got lucky!! LOL

As far as communication goes....it can be a looooooooooooooong time between conversations with them! We had the availability of email, but they could only receive, not send, so I couldn't really get answers. Phone calls did come, but they were short and only from port calls in foreign countries - they can get quite pricey!! A couple times, I was able to use Instant Messenger with him when he was in the Arabian Gulf, but that was extremely rare (most ports don't have active USO's with cyber cafe's). The best part, tho, is waiting for the mail to come to see if he's written anything!! I typically end up writing in a notebook just about every night (he's basically my diary when he's deployed!) and then I would send him about a week's worth of letters with every mailing.

I could go on and on and on....but I don't want to bore anyone here!! I'll just leave it at how proud I am of my hubby and my family!

~Carrie

Pages