My 1st thanksgiving Dinner....need help

iVillage Member
My 1st thanksgiving Dinner....need help
Mon, 10-20-2003 - 11:45am
Okay I cook all the time luv it. But I have been With my DH for 6 years and we have always went to other family's homes for T-day. Well this year Im staying in and need some help.

1st. What is the best "brand" of turkey to buy and that cooks well. Also whats the best seasonings to use?

2nd. I need a recipe for yam bake. I know it can be canned yams and it has marshmellows but thats about it.

That should be it I know how to do everything else oh yea wait I got a recipe from a FIRST Mag. for pumpkin pie it calls for 1 cup of cinm applesauce. Would anyone try this recipe or should i just go with what is on the can?

Okay that is all for now. Thanks for the help.

Harmony

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-20-2003 - 12:11pm
Welcome Harmony!!

Hey, I need some help myself!(lol) . . . me neither on fixing the Turkey dinner!!

I too have always gone somewhere else and the One time I had it at My home, my Mom BROUGHT the Turkey!(lol)

I'm hoping that someone with experience will come along and give you a bit better direction.....

I tried a turkey before (NOT for thanksgiving tho) and I believe it was a Butterball...I don't know how much difference there is in turkeys....I don't remember doing any special seasonings...

I'll look around and see what I can come up with as far as a yam bake - - I'm a big sweet potato lover and ANY sweet potato recipe is good for me!(lol)

Oh, and the pumpkin pie with applesauce....Harmony, maybe try it beFORE thanksgiving to see how it works...that way you will know what to expect if you use it.

Harmony - - welcome to the board...check out some of our great recipes down below, and if you have a favorite dish that you make we'd love it if you would share.

Remember, too, the most important part about any meal is that it brings people we love together.

~~tracy

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-20-2003 - 1:20pm
HI Harmony! I can't help ya too much here b/c I've never actually done a holiday myself with the exception of last Christmas Eve and that was only for a total of 4 people and I made these stuffed steak things. But it was very stressful! Timing everything, making what everyone likes, etc.

Anyways, I agree...try the apple cinnamon stuff before Thanksgiving...or make 2 pies, one each for people to try. I'm not a pumpkin pie person so i wouldn't like either, LOL!

Good luck and I hope someone else can answer your questions. I know my mom usually gets a Butterball turkey. Also, she makes her sweet potatoes, by whipping them, putting brown sugar and molasses mixed with butter on top (not sure how much of each though). Everyone loves it - even those who don't like sweet potatoes!

Kelly

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-20-2003 - 4:50pm
I have only made a turkey once myself. And it came out okay, but November's issue of Bon Appetit magazine has a step-by-step of turkey prep that is really easy to read and understand.

The number one tips they had on turkey purchase is that you should purchase a frozen turkey - because it is shipped frozen, it doesn't have a chance to bruise. And a turkey should be brined to stay moist (it shows you how to brine). If you don't have time to brine, just buy a kosher turkey, because they are treated with salt at some point along the way. And you should brown all the turkey first at a really high temp (450-500) because if you brown at a lower temp all the fat under the skin will melt away before its brown. And after browned, you should cover the breast only with foil, because the breast meat takes less time to cook than the dark meat and if you don't do something to lower its cooking time, it will get dry.

Sorry, this is all I remember from the article, but it is a GREAT article and I would recommend purchasing the magazine because it walks you through everything step-by-step!

Good luck with your thanksgiving meal!

cgirl

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-20-2003 - 8:34pm
I'm thinking I need that magazine.
TracyPalmPoster.jpg picture by cl-daisy526
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-21-2003 - 7:07am
Ill look into it.......thanks a million foreverything............I hope it turns out okay.......I sure will need lots of leftover ideas.......a 10 lb turkey w/ @ the most 3 people lol ......we will b eating turkey for sometime.......Does anyone know how to freeze the cooked turkey w/o it getting really dried and frezzer bernt?

I wish everyone a happy and safe halloween!!!!!!!!!!

Harmony

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-21-2003 - 10:31am

Hi Harmony... welcome to the board... I do cook Thanksgiving every year and I buy a different turkey every year because I'm still trying to find a perfect one.

BabyFoot.jpg picture by cl-daisy526

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-21-2003 - 3:53pm
Cinnamon applesauce in the pie probably wouldn't be a bad thing. Nowadays, many people are substituing applesauce for oil in baking, and it sounds like this recipe is simply combining steps by doing that and adding the cinnamon. I have a get-together this week, maybe I will try it!

As for the turkey, I can't really say a particular brand is any better than another. Since every couple of years I am living in a different state, our choices are always changing!! lol The seasoning....best to keep it simple. Hubby is actually the one in charge of the holiday turkey every year, and all he does is this....... use the Reynold's Turkey Oven bag. Put the turkey in, sprinkle with some flour and aLOT of butter - I'm talking rub some all over the turkey, put a stick or two IN the turkey, leave pats of it around the bottom, etc. Then, the last thing he does is use some Italian seasonings if we have it, or a few sprigs of rosemary, thyme, etc. Basically, any herbs that you like, go for it!!

I absolutely LOVE the Thanksgiving and Christmas meals!!! We don't go home, haven't done so for about 6yrs, but we almost always have a full house - something that we started as students in Orlando, FL, we invite other families that aren't going home, as well as some of the single sailors here on base. It basically becomes a buffet, with people coming and going all day. It's great!! (and it gives me the chance to make MANY of my favorite pies --- Sweet Potato!!!)

Hope this helped you out a little! (I didn't read any other responses, so I apologize if I repeated some things!)

~Carrie

Community Leader
Tue, 10-21-2003 - 5:29pm

I love it!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-21-2003 - 5:58pm

WOW - - even I'M inspired to try NOW!!

I think that this year I might have my Own turkey whether I go somewhere or not....

Thanks K-Roni ... for taking the time to share all this info and your wonderful way with words!(lol)

~~tracy

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-21-2003 - 6:02pm

Carrie - - you and your hubby sure are sweet folks...I think your idea of sharing your home and Thanksgiving meal with those who can't go home for the holiday, or are alone is so loving and generous....I bet you've made some wonderful friends in all the places you have lived.

Pages