No Dairy Allowed ......

iVillage Member
No Dairy Allowed ......
Thu, 10-23-2003 - 7:49pm
My doctor has just put me on a dairy free diet - to see if it will help resolve some gut issues. So far it is working, but I am consuming no dairy in any form. No butter, most oleos, powdered milk, milk (of course), whey, milk solids, milk chocolate, etc. I understand that milk products are even used as fillers in medications... The list goes on and on.

Could other members share with me any web sites where I can find dairy free recipies for foods such as ice-cream, pumpkin pie, and other goodies? I have a breadmaker and think I will be making most of my own breads - to control the ingredient content.

Sure would appreciate some feedback.

Tricia

P.S. I am feeling so much better that I think the inconvenience of no-dairy might just be worth the trouble! Good thing soy based products are so available!

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-23-2003 - 9:19pm

Welcome Tricia_47!!

Boy, I bet it can be really challenging to elliminate milk products!

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-26-2003 - 2:20pm
My husband, daughter and I am assuming my son (he is only 4 months) all have an allergy to casien (the milk protein). It was a challege at first,but now, I can cook awesome meals. I don't really know of any website,but I do search some things. I have gone on :

askjeeves.com

and I have found some dairy free alternatives on there.

I use soy milk all the time whenever something calls for milk, I use that. A health food store in my town sells casien free cheese etc. Rice Dream (ice cream, no diary) is awesome. So good. I hve had soya ice cream sandwiches as well (no diary). I know So Good Soya Milk has a ice cream type of thing too.

We do miss Mac and Cheese and pizza,but I make my own pizza with the dairy free parmisean cheese (spelling?).

It does get easier and you're stomach will thank you. I don't have an allergy to it,but whenver I do eat cheese or whatever, I do ahve a tummy ache now since I don't eat it on a reg. basis.

If you have any other questions, email me.... seanandchris@symaptico.ca

Christine

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-26-2003 - 3:29pm
My son is mildly autistic. One thing I have come across in all my research is the GFCF diet that many autism families swear by.

GFCF = Gluten-Free, Casein-Free (basically, gluten is found in many wheats, and casein is in dairy)

We've never done this, but many have. There are plenty of websites and books out there about this, but the most informative is at http://www.gfcfdiet.com

Hope this helps a little.

~Carrie

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-27-2003 - 9:42pm
Check out the Cooking for Allergies board on this site.
iVillage Member
Sat, 11-01-2003 - 9:06pm
Thanks to everyone for the responses!

An update - I am doing fine! I have been dairy free for almost two weeks *cheers* and feel good. I still miss some of my old favorites, but am eating wonderful meals and drinking more soy beverage than ever before. My breadmaker is getting a workout. I have checked out the cooking for allergies board here at I-Village. I even went through Halloween without eating the usual candies!

I found some interesting recipies at www.SILKisSOY.com web site... SILK is a soy beverage that tastes wonderful and is calcium and Vitamin D fortified.

Still, I am hoping that I can have traces of milk products in my diet at some future date. But for now, Dairy-Free is the key. Thanks for the support!

Tricia