Tracy...question about your cabinets

iVillage Member
Tracy...question about your cabinets
Fri, 10-24-2003 - 10:15am
I really want mine redone but we cannot afford to redo our kitchen right now. I am saving and hopefully will have the whole kitchen redone in about 3 years (that is my goal anyway) but it will probably be more like 5. That includes floor, new cabinets, countertop, walls, everything. So it will be pricey, but worth it as this kitchen is from 1974! Same age as DH and 3 years older than me! LOL!

Anyways, I was wondering what the total cost of everything was for painting them...if you don't mind my asking. I'm thinking when I'm not working anymore maybe I could begin this project, at least to have some change in the kitchen until I redo the entire thing. But if it's too much money, it won't be worth spending if I'm just going to tear them out in a few years. But then again, if it's not too pricey, I may even like it enough not to have to replace them. WHo knows!?

Just curious. Also, when it's done I'd like to see pictures if you can.

Thanks

Kelly

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-24-2003 - 10:25am
One more thing...can you point me to a website or something on how to do this? What steps need to be done and in what order, etc.

Thanks

Kelly

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-24-2003 - 10:46am

Kelly - - it is absolutely do-able!!

My cabinets were dark wood...perfectly good, just that my kitchen gets no direct sunshine and is very dark and I wanted a lighter look.

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-24-2003 - 10:53am
WOW! I thought it would cost more than that. I would want new hardware - might as well if I will be giving it a new look anyway.

And, how exciting is this?! My SIL works for a paint company (won't say the name but it's a big one) and Family gets her employee discount and the month of Oct there it is 50% off all paint and painting supplies! Wall paper is only 20 or 30%, but still better than no discount at all! Maybe I will have to buy the pain now!

Thanks for the input. I will have to give it some serious thought b4 the end of October which is coming up quickly!

Kelly

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-24-2003 - 11:04am

WAIT - - I just went back and checked out that link and THey suggest painting WITH the Cabinet doors ON...NO WAY would I try that!!

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-24-2003 - 11:58am

I've been instructed to come in here and tell you to add in another 50-60 bucks for brushes, rollers and tray!

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-24-2003 - 12:12pm
Thanks! I would have forgotten those too! LOL! I have rollers and trays, so I'll just need the brushes.

Gosh! Now I'm ready to start this tomorrow! LOL!

Kelly