Help, Vinegar?

iVillage Member
Help, Vinegar?
Fri, 10-24-2003 - 7:13pm

I have a recipe for a cake that says 1 tablespoon vinegar. Is this white vinegar? I have some white distilled vinegar, do I use this, or what kind? I really felt like cake tonight lol

Thanks!

Anisah, who is not good at baking but giving it her best shot ;)

Shake your family tree and watch the nuts fall!

Anisah's Family

Mustafa, 9

Nabilah, 7

Ibrahim, born 6/7/03

iVillage Member
In reply to: anisah_ks
Fri, 10-24-2003 - 7:45pm

Hi Anisah!!

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-24-2003 - 8:11pm

Thanks. I thought vinegar was wierd in a cake recipe. My sister is the one that is good at cooking and baking, usually I just buy a cake mix lol.

Have a good weekend!

Anisah

Anisah's Family

Mustafa, 9

Nabilah, 7

Ibrahim, born 6/7/03

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-24-2003 - 9:30pm
I bet your cake was great.
TracyPalmPoster.jpg picture by cl-daisy526
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-24-2003 - 11:07pm

Tracy - do you know what the vinegar Does in the cake mix or pie??

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-25-2003 - 5:35pm
Nope, no idea.
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-27-2003 - 9:40pm
Usually doesn't matter what kind you use: white, salad, apple cider, rice, wine or malt. The cooking process causes a chemical reaction that leaves no taste.

My kids love wacky aka crazy cake that has vinegar in it. I have used white, rice and malt depending what's in the cupboard - no difference.

Here's some info:

"If you are baking and find you are short of an egg, as long as the recipe contains another rising agent (eg bicarb, baking powder or self raising flour) the egg can be replaced with 1 tablespoon of white wine vinegar." [the acid - vinegar - reacts with the

sodium bicarbonate to release CO2 which makes the cake rise}

* Add 1 tsp. vinegar to cooking water for fluffier rice.

* Add a spoonful of vinegar when cooking fruit to improve the flavor.

* Add vinegar to boiling ham to improve flavor and cut salty taste.

* Adding a few tablespoons of vinegar to your deep fryer will eliminate that heavy, greasy taste.

* Avoid cabbage odor by adding vinegar to the cooking water.

* Homemade sour cream: blend together 1 cup cottage cheese, 1/4 cup skim milk and 1 tsp. vinegar.

* Keep cheese fresher longer by wrapping it in a vinegar soaked cloth. Place it in a plastic container or sealed bag - and no more mold!

* Make a cake mix taste like homemade by adding a teaspoon of vinegar to the recipe.

* Make a sour cream substitute by blending together one cup cottage cheese, 1/4 cup milk and 1 tsp. vinegar.

* Make Homemade buttermilk by adding a tablespoon of vinegar to a cup of milk. Let it stand for 10 minutes or until thick.

* Make your catsup and other condiments last long by adding vinegar.

* Make your fruit gelatin firmer by adding a tablespoon of vinegar when preparing.

* Make your pie crusts even flakier by adding a tablespoon of vinegar to the recipe.

* Marinate tough cuts of meat or game by adding 1/2 cup vinegar to a cup of heated bouillon.

* Marinate tough meat in vinegar overnight to tenderize.

* Mashed potatoes will stay whiter longer if you add a teaspoon of vinegar just before mashing.

* Olives and pimentos will keep indefinitely if covered with vinegar and refrigerated.

* Preserve peppers: put freshly picked peppers in a sterilized jar and finish filling with boiling vinegar.

* Prevent discoloration of peeled potatoes by adding a few drops of vinegar to water. They will keep fresh for days in fridge.

* Prevent the ugly discoloration of cut fruit, such as apples and pears, by quickly putting them in a bowl of full strength vinegar.

* Revive your wilted vegetables by placing them in hot water, then quickly placing them in a pot of very cold water to which you've added 2 tablespoons of vinegar.

* Soak fish in vinegar and water before cooking for a tender, sweeter taste.

* Steep your favorite herb in vinegar until you have a pleasing taste and aroma.

* To make a shiny crust on homemade bread, brush the top with vinegar just before the baking is complete, then return to the oven for another few minutes.

* To make your meringue fluffier, beat 3 egg whites with a teaspoon of vinegar.

* Use vinegar instead of lemon on fried and broiled foods.

* Very tough pieces of meat can be marinated in vinegar overnight in the refrigerator.

* When boiling eggs, add some vinegar to the water to prevent white from leaking out of a cracked egg.

* When boiling meat, add a spoonful of vinegar to the water to make it more tender.

* When poaching eggs, add a teaspoon of vinegar to the water to prevent separation."

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-28-2003 - 5:28am
WOW!!
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-28-2003 - 8:03am

I completely agree....have to print this out and post it in the kitchen!

I had no idea