Need a recommendation

iVillage Member
Need a recommendation
Tue, 10-28-2003 - 8:01am
Hi, my name is Robin and I'm 44 years old. I have a daughter who is 20 and is becoming interested in cooking. I want to buy her a cookbook as a present. Can anyone recommend a good one for a beginning cook? Thank you in advance for helping me out with this.

Robin

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-28-2003 - 8:22am

Hi Robin and Welcome to Quick and Easy board!!

Boy, first cookbook.....gotta tell you, I'm 45 and really just now getting into cooking and to me, the Best cookbook is not a book at all but somebody who CAN cook showing the way!(lol)

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-28-2003 - 9:54am
I'm not much of a cook and neither was my mother. My daughter is finding it as a recreational activity she and her boyfriend can share. I thought for Christmas I would buy her a beginners cookbook and some cooking lessons. The type of book she needs is one that explains the basics. For example, she was cooking something and didn't know what the recipe meant by folding in an ingredient. I have an aunt that is a great southern cook. I've asked her for her recipes and thought I would make an electronic cookbook of them for my daughter. This is the best I can do as far as being supportive of her efforts. I don't really cook, so I can't teach her, LOL. Thanks for your recommendations and for your welcome to the board.

Robin

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-28-2003 - 10:13am
This is a really good gift idea -- and one I give to anyone just graduating or getting married, etc. The same book my mom gave me, that her mom gave her, is the Better Homes & Gardens cookbook (you know the one, with the red/white checkered cover). I have many many MANY cookbooks, and this one is still the best, IMO.

Another one that is fantastic to have is Rachel Ray's 30-minute meals (both books, actually). She breaks things down and makes recipes simple and fun.......and only 30mins to make!!

~Carrie

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-28-2003 - 11:09am
My mom taught me a lot of cooking techniques as I was growing up, but I still find that I need a book to refer to every once and a while for more than just recipes. I use Betty Crocker's most basic cookbook. It has all kind of information (like how to truss a chicken and pictures of all kinds of vegetable and pastas). Sometimes I'm reading a recipe and I don't even know what the ingredient is. I always refer to this book.

And a basic cookbook also has a mix of recipes. I have a lot of specialty cookbooks, but this is the one I refer to most often.

Good luck and I think its a great gift idea!

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-28-2003 - 6:48pm
I would also recommend one of the Betty Crocker binder cookbooks. They are easy to find things and have lots of pictures. I only like cookbooks with pictures! LOL!

kelly