Quick Question.

iVillage Member
Quick Question.
Wed, 10-29-2003 - 1:05pm
Hi, I'm wondering if anybody knows if sweet potatoes can be peeled, cut up and baked in chunks. I've only baked them with their skins on before and am not sure if the sugar in them will burn if they don't have their coats on. I'm wanting to cook them so my 13 month old can pick them up himself. Thanks so much for your help.
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-29-2003 - 1:12pm
You can do pretty much anything with a sweet potato that you can with a regular potato.

I've had sweet potato fries before that were delicious! You can bake them without oil, too just like you would with a regular potato.

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-29-2003 - 1:41pm

Welcome to Quick and Easy Queen...I think I'd try doing a sweet potato fry...I LOVE sweet potatoes myself and do bake them often - - oh, so good with just salt and pepper - - but I have Not done fries before.

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-29-2003 - 1:51pm
OHHHH!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE Sweet potato fries! The Motown Cafe (which is no longer there) at New York New York in Las Vegas had teh BEST sweet potato fries! I miss that place! Now it's the stupid ESPN Zone.

Kelly

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-29-2003 - 2:03pm
Another thing you can do for your 13-month old is to simply peel, cut and boil the sweet taters. Helps them get nice and soft, and you don't have to worry about the sugars becoming a problem in the oven.

~Carrie

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-29-2003 - 2:52pm
Thank you all for answering so fast. I'm planning on making these for dinner. Normally, I just bake them (sweet potatoes) for my husband & I, but the baby is now wanting to feed himself. Not to mention that he doesn't like baked potatoes - the only potatoes he will eat is something my sister came up with. She would peel & cut into chunks regular baking potatoes, sprinkle them w/Cavendar's and butter and bake them for @ 45 min. He loves these and he really loves that he can feed himself! Anway, I just wanted to say thanks. I've been trying real hard to find dinner foods that the baby can eat by himself and that we all like. I really don't want to cook two different dinners if I can help it.