bipolar disorder

iVillage Member
bipolar disorder
Mon, 02-22-2010 - 10:06pm

I only just found out my husband was diagnosed bipolar in 2006 by the army and I was never told I new something was wrong I begged the army to help me so many time told them something was wrong Now we are separated and it's a disaster and I am so angry they could have helped him but did nothing they new!! now it has gone so far are family is destroyed we have two autistic children and he wants visitation but I am scared to give it as he leaves doors open at night never remembers things for himself let alone meds twice a day for them he forgets the most basic things and lies constantly how can he go on unmediated and be in the army BOY DID THEY FAIL ARE FAMILY in the mental health area. ow and I hope his new girlfriend can deal with this

But on the bright side it seems like sweet justice that she gets what she deserves for sleeping with a married man

I love my husband but he is so lost and seems unreachable

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-23-2010 - 2:28pm

It is a shame that the military does not have enough support for active duty men and women to get the mental health treatment they need. I know the military is usually only worried about what "you" can do for them, and not what they can do for thier men and women and their families. On the other hand, your husband has to want treatment and fight for his treatment. Sometimes I know that is hard when the bipolar is taking over, but if he knows he can get help and he has meds he can take, then it is up to him to do his part.

I feel bad for you and your kids. I know it has not been easy coping with his illness while trying to care for two autistic children. Right now, the main important thing is taking care of you and your kids. It may mean you getting counseling so you have support to take care of yourself and your kids. Sometimes things get better when we start taking care of ourselves first. I know you are very hurt by your marriage ending and anyone would be, but now your focus needs to be on you and your little ones.

~ Tina ~

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-24-2010 - 3:16am

Thank you Tina for your kind words.I am trying to do that. So many yrs of pain and lack of understanding it just kills me. But he is so distant and literally has no emotions left no love no remorse,empathy no one seem to be able to reach him not me and not his family. And that's the hard part after 10 yrs he just docent care about anything or anyone but him self. And what he wants. But I am going back to school and trying to pick up from the devastation this disease has caused. And all I can do is pray he will be safe and get help.
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-24-2010 - 8:44am

I am glad you are going back to school and doing things for yourself. When you are happier, you will be able to make your kids feel happier. I know it is not easy, but you have to be strong for your kids.

Keep hanging in there!!

~ Tina ~