I MADE BREAD???.....or what?

iVillage Member
I MADE BREAD???.....or what?
Wed, 11-05-2003 - 10:26pm

Hmmmmm. . . . . well, that was 4 hours of TORTURE!!(LOLOL)

Okay, it was fun.

I did Carries White bread.

Carrie, I used bread flour.

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-06-2003 - 7:10am
I am more excited about seeing you in those pictures.
TracyPalmPoster.jpg picture by cl-daisy526
iVillage Member
Thu, 11-06-2003 - 8:01am

I ALMOST did not include that pic with me in it.....I was filthy by time that was shot!(lol)...I had flour ALL over me, up to my elbows, in my hair, everywhere!

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-06-2003 - 8:48am
Girl... you crack me up!

BabyFoot.jpg picture by cl-daisy526

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-06-2003 - 1:45pm
Tracy,

Your post made me laugh!!! This is precisely the reason why I am the daughter of a bread-maker and not one myself. The bread is amazing when done right, but I can remember it being a long process.

That said, your bread is not quite as "fluffy" as it should be - my best guess would be the yeast was bad - it is possible to just have gotten "slow" yeast from the store. I've seen my mother have a bad batch. The problem is that if you've never seen a good batch, how do you tell if its behaving properly? But, the bread shouldn't be heavy (at least if its anything remotely close to the recipe my mom uses. Her bread would end up 6-8 inches tall! Maybe I'll have to give my mom's recipe a try. If for no other reason than to have a good laugh at myself!

I posted mom's pumpkin bread recipe down below if you want to try an "easier" bread. I spent last night baking, too. I made two apple pies and two batches of apple crisp and I STILL have apples left - almost half of them! So, two more pies tonight and apple cheddar bread. I'll let you know how it tastes.

cgirl

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-06-2003 - 2:25pm

Well dear Cgirl...I'm so glad you think this is funny!(LOLOL)

I DO think tho that you have a pretty good advantage over me with your Mom being a baker.....you KNOW what it's supposed to look like....you are very lucky.

I've tossed the batch that was in the fridge (it was weird looking) and started over, but last check That one was not rising......(sigh)(lol)

Perhaps this is a sign I should just stick with the quick breads....I think I SHould be able to handle your pumpkin bread recipe....That shall be next.

You were BUSY last night!

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-06-2003 - 2:43pm
I'm very impressed with your persistance! I get frustrated too easily and give up.

I was busy last night - the pies and crisp were SO easy to make though (must admit that I used store-bought pie crust). I was surprised. I used recipes for both from the Betty Crocker cookbook and they were very easy and I had all the ingredients except brown sugar already at home. Cutting up the apples was the hardest part. I sent the bf home with half a pie for his roommates, although I'm pretty sure they'll never see it. He was thrilled to walk into a kitchen right after I took homemade pies out of the oven. He kept hovering over them asking when they would be cooled enough - LOL!!

I'm in Massachusetts and I got the Macoun apples in New Hampshire. Not Canada, but close! Certainly far away from Arkansas - it is practically a different country in New England. At least the people who are here seem to think so! I'm originally from Pennsylvania, though, in PA Dutch Country, so there is a long tradition of home cooking in my family.

Well, I'll let you know if I try the yeast bread, but I HAVE to get rid of the rest of these apples first!!

cgirl