Ideas for lunch?

iVillage Member
Ideas for lunch?
Mon, 11-10-2003 - 4:44pm
I need quick/healthy/filling ideas for taking my lunch to work. I'm going to try to remember to prepare my lunch the night before. It's getting way too expensive buying my lunch so often at work and the frozen dinners are just not satisfying (and not all that great). Any ideas for things that I can take that will be good reheated? Or even cold foods? No sandwhiches please - I'm tired of cold cuts! LOL!

Thanks

Kelly

iVillage Member
In reply to: mama2acc
Mon, 11-10-2003 - 5:15pm

When I worked, I often took soup, or chili or stew.

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-11-2003 - 7:44am
Last year I ate out all the time.
TracyPalmPoster.jpg picture by cl-daisy526
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-11-2003 - 8:05am
I do the leftover thing too... i make sure that i cook extra just so that I CAN take the leftovers with me to work.

BabyFoot.jpg picture by cl-daisy526

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-11-2003 - 12:14pm
I love sandwiches, but there is something really unappealing about one that has been sitting in the refrigerator for half a day! Sometimes I still bring a tuna or turkey sandwich for lunch, but I pop it in the toaster oven for a few minutes (minus the vegetables, of course). Just warming it up and making the bread crispy and melting the cheese makes it taste great! I keep tuna and mayonnaise packets at my desk and some bread in the refrigerator in case I forget my lunch.

Also, I do leftovers a lot. It is really easy to just make a little extra the night before and package it up right after dinner. Then I only have to grab it from the refrigerator in the morning.

I also like bringing salads - I add chick peas, tuna, cottage cheese, or some protein to help fill me up and bring some bread - if I only eat vegetables for lunch, I'll be starving again in an hour.

Let us know if you come up with anything else!

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-11-2003 - 12:54pm
Hi Kelly, I don't think I add too much from what has already been suggested. For the most part I take leftovers from dinner - that's why I generally like making recipes that make a lot. There's 3 of us in the house and we all prefer leftovers!

As other posters have said I keep a supply of foods in my desk in case I forget my lunch or we have nothing at home. I'll keep some peanut butter, crackers, cans of soup (Progresso and such - more filling kinds), can of tuna. I also always keep yogurt in the fridge so that's always good to add my lunch if its not quite filling enough :)

Some weeks I'll bring in one of the bags of salad stuff and then add either some tuna, cottage cheese, some cold cuts (for chef salad) - have the salad with some crackers or a pita bread and a piece of fruit.

I do also bring sandwiches once in a while but instead of assembling it at home I'll often wait until lunchtime to do so it seems fresher or even toast the bread. Do you have access to a toaster oven? If so, one of my favorites was to make grilled cheese and soup. While microwaving the soup you can prepare your grilled cheese sandwich - butter both outer sides of the bread and put cheese in the middle, then set it to toast that way both sides of the sandwich get crispy!! Just be careful the cheese doesn't seep out, people hate that :)

I don't think there's any magic answer just try to mix it up a bit so you don't feel like you're having the same thing all the time. If I think of any other suggestions I'll post again. Good luck.

Amy