I need help with a get together!!!!!

iVillage Member
I need help with a get together!!!!!
Mon, 11-24-2003 - 7:10pm
I would like to have several neighbors over between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I've never had a lot of people over (about 20) and don't even know where to begin. We already know that we want it to be as casual as possible. Finger foods, beer and wine, etc.

Any suggestions as far as food, expectations, experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Nancy the newbie

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-24-2003 - 7:53pm
Well, I just had a party for 14! I made meat loaf (easy and everyone likes it), spaghetti and a frozen veggie lasagna.

If you are just doing appetizer type stuff (which is a GREAT idea by the way!), there are many different dip recipes down below. You can also make tea sandwhiches...cut the crust off of bread and cut the bread in half. Then add whatever you like...cream cheese and locks, sour cream with a slice of cucumber on top, mayo with a slice of hard boiled egg, etc. Ham roll ups are also good...slice of ham (deli ham works best), spread cream cheese (mixed with a little bit of horse radish), cheese (I prefer swiss) and roll up - refrigerate before serving.

Meat balls are also good! My mom makes the BEST sweet and sour meatballs, The sauce is (and don't get grossed out here - it really is wonderful), equal amounts of chili sauce and grape jelly. After browning and cooking the meat balls she puts them in the sauce in a crock pot for serving.

Water cress and bacon - use whole water chestnuts and roll in a piece of raw bacon. Bake until bacon is cooked. Sauce is made of butter and brown sugar. Cook in crock pot.

HTH

Kelly

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-24-2003 - 7:55pm

Hi and welcome to the board Nancy!

Haven't done anything like that in a while, but we used to do a Chili buffett that was Very popular.....I'd make a couple different kinds of chili...(beans in one, spicy one, very plain one)...and have little bowls and different toppings...onion, cheese, jalapenos, . . . then just different chips/crackers and cheeses......and different cookies.

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-24-2003 - 7:58pm

YES...I forgot the meatballs in that sauce...those are WONDERFUL!!

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-24-2003 - 8:38pm
Hi Tracy! Not having the boards at work really imposes on my internet social life! LOL! But I guess I do get more work done! I'm horrible!

Those meatballs are to die for! Maybe I'll cook some up soon for myself!

Kelly

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-24-2003 - 8:47pm

Welcome Nancy.

TracyPalmPoster.jpg picture by cl-daisy526
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-25-2003 - 12:19am

Hi Nancy the Newbie!

BabyFoot.jpg picture by cl-daisy526

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-25-2003 - 10:54am
I have to agree with everyone else - you MUST do the meatballs. I do them for almost every large get together and rarely have leftovers. I agree also that 3 hot appetizers is sufficient and then depending on the time of day (will people have already eaten or is this their dinner?) 3-4 cold appetizers is great. NOTE: DH and I tend to over cook, LOL - so maybe I'm not the best judge on quantity!!!

For cold apps - deviled eggs are always a hit, veggie tray - easy and feeds a lot, hummus and pita bread - a personal favorite of mine. If you have a BJ's, Costco or Sam's near you they also have some wonderful appetizers/dips - no one says you have to personally cook/bake everything!! And don't forget some nuts or chex mix - that munchy stuff is always good. For dessert items - we generally would have a cheesecake, a pie and then some cookies. I like cookies/bars because their easy to eat while standing and chatting. I have a wonderful recipe for raspberry squares that I'll post tomorrow (recipe is at home) - they are so easy and would be a festive color this time of year.

For beverages, I'd even stick with soda, coffee and hot cider - a must have at our house this time of year. Or you could even offer egg nog.

Have fun!

Amy